Wild B.C. salmon test positive for 'lethal' virus linked to fish farms
Jane
2011-10-17 22:57:00 UTC
...Sigh...I always pay more and buy wild-caught salmon. If only everyone
did.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/Wild+salmon+test+positive+lethal+virus+linked+fish+farms/5562658/story.html

VANCOUVER - Wild sockeye salmon from B.C.'s Rivers Inlet have tested
positive for a potentially devastating virus that has never before been
found in the North Pacific.

Infectious Salmon Anemia is a flu-like virus affecting Atlantic salmon that
spreads very quickly and mutates easily, according to Simon Fraser
University fisheries statistician Rick Routledge. The virus detected in
sockeye smolts by the Atlantic Veterinary College in P.E.I. - Canada's ISA
reference lab - is the European strain of ISA.

"The only plausible source of this virus is fish farms," said Routledge.

B.C.'s aquaculture industry has imported more than 30 million Atlantic
salmon eggs over the past 25 years, mainly from Iceland, the United States
and Ireland, according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

"It is described as highly contagious and lethal," said Routledge, who had
underweight fish sent for testing at the suggestion of B.C. salmon biologist
Alexandra Morton. Of the 48 fish sent for testing, two were found to have
the virus.

Morton had raised concerns about the possibly presence of the virus in B.C.
after seeing Ministry of Agriculture and Lands disease reports describing
"classic" ISA-like lesions in farmed salmon.

B.C. salmon farms conducted 4,726 tissue tests for ISA over the past eight
years and every one came back negative, according to Ian Roberts, a
spokesman for B.C.'s largest salmon farming company, Marine Harvest. Another
65 tests conducted in the past quarter were also negative.

"As far as we know (Marine Harvest) is clean of this disease and we want to
keep it that way," said environmental officer Clare Backman. "Just because
it is present in these Pacific salmon doesn't mean it's a health issue . . .
Pacific salmon are not as affected by ISA as Atlantic salmon."

ISA has been found in wild Atlantic salmon in Nova Scotia's Bay of Fundy, a
fish population that is depressed and on the verge of extinction, Routledge
said.

"There is really no information on the impact it could have on Pacific
sockeye salmon, which is where we found it," he said.

Like the flu in humans, ISA can exist in a relatively benign form and then
mutate into a more deadly version of itself, Routledge said.

The juvenile fish that tested positive were migrating down the Inlet from
Owikeno Lake. The smolts likely contracted the disease from adult spawners
returning to the lake or from their parents, Routledge said.

"That means the virus has been around for several years," he said.

ISA usually is found in Atlantic salmon, though it can also infect herring.
The virus devastated fish farms in Chile in 2007 and 2008, killing millions
of fish and resulting in the closure of both fish farms and processing
plants. Fish farms in Scotland and Norway also have suffered lethal
outbreaks, according to Morton.

"The New York Times reported from Chile that the Chilean aquaculture
industry suffered more than $2 billion in losses," Morton said. An
investigation by scientists from the University of Bergen concluded that
Atlantic salmon eggs imported from Norway to Chile likely were the source of
the virus.
Woodswun

Woods
KimboStrong
2011-10-18 06:59:02 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
"The New York Times reported from Chile that the Chilean aquaculture
industry suffered more than $2 billion in losses," Morton said. An
investigation by scientists from the University of Bergen concluded that
Atlantic salmon eggs imported from Norway to Chile likely were the
source of the virus.
Scary stuff, Jane.
Woods
Unless you have an "inside source" here - there 'Woods'

This is the very first that I have heard about that - here !!!

:- 0

P.S. If this is really true here - there 'Woods'

Please let me know about this - as I have three
cans of this stuff in my basement storage area.

8-(
Woodswun
2011-10-18 22:01:37 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
"The New York Times reported from Chile that the Chilean aquaculture
industry suffered more than $2 billion in losses," Morton said. An
investigation by scientists from the University of Bergen concluded that
Atlantic salmon eggs imported from Norway to Chile likely were the
source of the virus.
Scary stuff, Jane.
Woods
Unless you have an "inside source" here - there 'Woods'
This is the very first that I have heard about that - here !!!
:- 0
P.S. If this is really true here - there 'Woods'
Please let me know about this - as I have three
cans of this stuff in my basement storage area.
8-(
It's a disease that salmon catch. It shouldn't effect you, especially
at the temps and pressures they can fish at. It does indicate that
man's farm fishing isn't as healthy as it ought to be, that we aren't
as careful as we ought to be, and that - OMG, can you beLIEVE this??
- viruses can actualy be transmitted through liquid water to wild
fish!!

Woods
KimboStrong
2011-10-21 06:31:52 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
[...]
You know what 'Woods' (my internet acquaintance), I
completely understand what you are PREACHING here.

I started preaching this same thing here - back in 2008.
[long before the lettuce 'fiasco' down in southern California]

The incompetence of the people that are in control of
the daily production of our current 'produce' (worldwide).

Will eventually be the "Death Of Us All" here.

Just A (My) Thought HERE - that we can all "Bite In To".

8<(~

;-)
KimboStrong
2011-10-21 06:42:55 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
[...]
completely understand what you are suggesting here.

I started saying the same thing 'on this forum' back in 2008.
[long before the lettuce 'fiasco' down in southern California]

The incompetence of the people that are in control of the
daily production of our current 'produce' (both here and the
world over) - will eventually be the "Death Of Us All".

Just A (My) Thought

That we can all "Take A Bite Out Of Here" 8<(~

;-)
Woodswun
2011-10-22 13:07:10 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
[...]
Oh, absolutely, Kim. Corporate farming is NOT healthy for anything -
the living things involved (plant or animal), the land/water on which
it's done, or the consumers.

Did you know Monsanto doesn't even want it's genetically altered
vegetables labeled as such? If they're so darned proud of their
product, why don't they want them labeled as genetically modified?
Maybe it's because people know that you can never trust a corporation
to have their customers' best interests at heart.

Woods
KimboStrong
2011-10-27 06:10:39 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Woodswun
Post by Jane
[...]
Looks like you and me (and 'Jane')
share a common concern here.

Unfortunately my 'personal' input into
these concerns - is actually controlled
by a warning that I 'perceive' from a
spiritual world - known as the "Past Life".

I can only forecast a 'problem' within the
real world - to an approximation of 6 to 9
months - of when it will 'actually' happen.

Just A Thought.
KimboStrong
2011-10-18 06:21:48 UTC
Post by Jane
...Sigh...I always pay more and buy wild-caught salmon. If only everyone
did.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/Wild+salmon+test+positive+l...
VANCOUVER - Wild sockeye salmon from B.C.'s Rivers Inlet have tested
positive for a potentially devastating virus that has never before been
found in the North Pacific.
Infectious Salmon Anemia is a flu-like virus - that affects Atlantic Salmon
Come on 'Jane' - can you really be that naive here ???

The first clue that this is a hoax statement - is in its misspelling:

"B.C.'s Rivers Inlet" [what is seriously wrong with this statement]

Secondly: if a salmon were to carry any sort of this Anemic Virus
here,
then they probably wouldn't have the strength to get (were they needed
to go) to SPAWN this year.

Thirdly: Yes there are some Atlantic Salmon 'Fish Farms' along the
Pacific Coastal Region - but most of them - are down in Chile.

You've been 'hauled' in here - there 'Jane'

Hook, Line (and Sink HER) !!! :<( [sorry to say]

;..< (
Jane
2011-10-18 09:31:21 UTC
Post by Jane
[...]

Eat a lot of farmed salmon do you, Kim? Those in the know have been advising
AGAINST framed salmon for some time. It causes all kinds of problems athta
are passed onto the wild populations.

Carry on, though.
KimboStrong
2011-10-18 06:36:15 UTC
Post by Jane
[...]

- a twelve year old could have composed that statement better.

Secondly: if a salmon were to carry any sort of this Anemic Virus
here, then they probably wouldn't have the strength to get were
they needed to go - to 'spawn' - for this year's breading cycle.

Thirdly: Yes there are some Atlantic Salmon 'Fish Farms' along
the Pacific Coastal Region - but most of them - are down in Chile.
[This is the first that I have heard about a problem - from Chile.]

You've been 'hauled' in here - there 'Jane'

Hook, Line (and Sink HER). :<( [sorry to say here - there 'Jane']

;..< (
Jane
2011-10-18 09:34:29 UTC
Post by Jane
[...]

It's being reported by multiple, legitimate Canadian sources, Kim, plus the
New York Times. If the Great Lobster told you something else, you have to
remember that he is an evil creature, trying to use you for his own
nefarious purposes.
KimboStrong
2011-10-21 07:15:33 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Jane
[...]
Sorry to say here - there 'Jane' - but as I have already said
here previously, that Lobster 'Thingy' has already transpired.

Will married Kate [and their insignia fulfilled that prophecy].

Anyway, back to this Fishy Situation at hand here:.

Yes, I did hear about this on my local TV Evening News
- right after your posted that statement to this forum.

But I haven't heard a single word about it since.

So either the the top experts of the CIA (and MI-5)
has stepped in here - to "bury this story" so deep,
that it would take a 'deep water salmon' to recover
proof of these claims - or it wasn't really a story at all.

Not that I don't believe you here - but without some
sort of proof, this story is like a "Fish Out Of Water".

;-)
Jane
2011-10-21 10:33:00 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Jane
[...]
.
.
[...]

It was only found in a few fish this time, Kim (the proof lies with the
scientists who found it), so at present it is just a warning...albeit, an
ominous one. When you pile it on top of the other warnings about the ocean
(some of which I have previously posted) it does not bode well.
KimboStrong
2011-10-27 06:27:58 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Jane
[...]
You mean something that the CORPORATE
Worldwide Salmon 'Emporium' - could easily
"Cover Up" here.

My guess is - that they've already done that.

Just A (My) Personal Thought - HERE.

8<\
KimboStrong
2011-10-27 06:48:04 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Jane
[...]
You do realize that I was just 'Yanking'
your fishing line here - there 'Jane'.

I don't doubt what you are 'implying' here.

But someone has gone to great lengths
to "cover this up" here.

Your first question would be "WHO"
(instead of why) here.

Just A Thought.

;-)

KimboStrong
2011-10-21 07:37:30 UTC
Post by KimboStrong
Post by Jane
[...]
Sorry to say here 'Jane' - but as I have already said here
previously - that the Lobster 'Thingy' has already transpired.

Will married Kate [and their insignia fulfilled that prophecy].

Anyway, back to this Fishy Situation at hand here:

Yes I did hear about this, on my local TV Evening News
- right after your post appeared on this forum.

But I haven't heard a single word about it since.

So either the the top experts of the CIA (and MI-5)
has stepped in here - to "bury this story so deep"
that it would take a 'deep water salmon' to recover
any smidgen of proof of these claims here.

Or there wasn't really any story here - at all !!!

Not that I don't believe you - but without some sort
of proof here - this story is like a fish, without water.

Just A Thought.

;-)