HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Dani
2005-01-01 16:43:52 UTC
Any resolutions?

Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).

Then we can check back in a few months and see how the progress
is going...M'kay?

Just something fun I thought we could do.

Cheers,

Dani
TaDa Pope
2005-01-01 17:53:51 UTC
Subject: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Date: 1/1/2005 8:43 AM Pacific Standard Time
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Then we can check back in a few months and see how the progress
is going...M'kay?
Just something fun I thought we could do.
Cheers,
Dani
No'kay :)

Yappy Who Dear!

Tangents are infinite in all of nature in
all universes constantly and at random.
* D OUOSVAVV M *
*PUBLIUS ENIGMA*

Oh Joy!
Tom

The Psychedelic Pope
Patron Saint of the Internet

http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/me/
Half-Mad
Dani
Dani
2005-01-02 20:16:12 UTC
lol! .. :)
Daniel Robinson
2005-01-01 21:53:51 UTC
Post by Dani
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Then we can check back in a few months and see how the progress
is going...M'kay?
Just something fun I thought we could do.
Cheers,
Dani
New Years Resolution.

1. To build my business from the 150 000 dollar turn over of last year, to a
500 000 dollar turn over.

I left this newsgroup, and other such places, because I got home from work,
found my girlfriend had not moved
from her bed for 3 days, the house had progressively gotten worse. I had to
turn my attention to fixing
my relationship, and helping my girlfriend not be so depressed, I stopped
working on my business at work, and started working
on it from home, passing most of the responsibility to the manager, I let
sue go back to work, where I took care of her
2 children, the last year has seen us both exhausted from working all the
time.

My major new years resolution, spend more quality time with Sue and the
Children doing family things.

Daniel
Woodswun
2005-01-02 03:32:38 UTC
Post by Daniel Robinson
Post by Dani
[...]
You sound like a great guy, Daniel. Best of luck! Let us know if there's
anything we can do to help you (either motivational or actually).

Happy New Year!

Woods
Dani
2005-01-02 20:15:27 UTC
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:53:51 +1300, "Daniel Robinson"
Post by Daniel Robinson
Post by Dani
[...]
Oh that's great, Daniel. You seem like a very good man
(a rarity these days) .. Sue and the kids are lucky to have you.

And I've no doubt that you will pull off your resolution with
flying colors!

Cheers,

Dani
Daniel
Woodswun
2005-01-02 03:29:41 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, Dani
<***@hotmail.com> wrote:

Happy New Year to you, too!
Post by Dani
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Um .... I was just going to try to drink only water for a month and see if I
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week is the
first opportunity to start something like that after having heard about doing
that. (Heard it from a consultant shortly before leaving for vacation).

I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee ..... I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D

Woods
Grantland
2005-01-02 03:55:42 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Post by Dani
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Um .... I was just going to try to drink only water for a month and see if I
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week is the
first opportunity to start something like that after having heard about doing
that. (Heard it from a consultant shortly before leaving for vacation).
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee ..... I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
Woods
why don't you see if'n you can fit a pencil up your anus?

Dani
2005-01-04 10:04:31 UTC
Post by Grantland
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Post by Dani
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Um .... I was just going to try to drink only water for a month and see if I
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week is the
first opportunity to start something like that after having heard about doing
that. (Heard it from a consultant shortly before leaving for vacation).
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee ..... I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
why don't you see if'n you can fit a pencil up your anus?
..why don't you see if'n you can fit a big fat
crayola marker (waterproof) up yers?
Dani
2005-01-02 20:08:00 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Any resolutions?
Post here if you have any new year resolution(s).
Um .... I was just going to try to drink only water for a month and see if I
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week is the
first opportunity to start something like that after having heard about doing
that. (Heard it from a consultant shortly before leaving for vacation).
Woods,

I make it a point to drink up to 8 glasses of water a day. It was
hard at first (had to pretty much force myself) - but I actually began
to enjoy it after a little while. It has a lot of benefits.

If you're prone to dry skin or scalp, you'll notice your complexion
smooth again and radiant. If you're prone to urinary tract
infections, all that water in most cases will improve the chances
of not getting them at all anymore. If you have constipation, it will
definitely help with that too.

It also actually helps mood - you feel more energized; less lethargic
and irritated. It helps with headaches and muscle aches. And it is a
*great* aid in helping one lose weight if they're trying to lose it.

Many people are dehydrated and they don't even know it.

For me, it's a definite aid in my working out (which is strenuous).
I drink water before, during and after working out.

It washes toxins out of your system - makes you less susceptible to
catching colds and the flu also.
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee .....
You can still have your coffee! I drink my water *and* coffee at the
same time. I'll have a glass before my coffee, sip while I'm drinking
my coffee - then have two glasses after my coffee.

(there was no way I was giving *that* up! :)
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.

Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)

PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.

Cheers,

Dani
Woods
TaDa Pope
2005-01-02 21:41:00 UTC
Subject: Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Date: 1/2/2005 12:08 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Cheers,
Dani
Post by Woodswun
Woods
Right you are on all that water info.
I drink about 2 gallons a day and I
take 3000mg of SOD with it as an
antioxidant agent.

I'm almost 60 and I expect to live to be over 100.
(if somebody doesn't blow up the world
before then - that is).

Woodswun
2005-01-02 23:12:51 UTC
Post by TaDa Pope
Right you are on all that water info.
I drink about 2 gallons a day and I
take 3000mg of SOD with it as an
antioxidant agent.
What's SOD, Pope?
Post by TaDa Pope
I'm almost 60 and I expect to live to be over 100.
(if somebody doesn't blow up the world
before then - that is).
Amen to that. :-)

Woods
TaDa Pope
2005-01-03 20:17:27 UTC
Date: 1/2/2005 3:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by TaDa Pope
Right you are on all that water info.
I drink about 2 gallons a day and I
take 3000mg of SOD with it as an
antioxidant agent.
What's SOD, Pope?
It available here:

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=712

Super Oxide Dimutase.

You'll love its effects. doing 3000mg
in a single dose is most impressive.

It's like doing 1/2 a gram of crank
smoking 2 dank joints of NYC Diesel
and popping an MS Contin 15mg.
Post by TaDa Pope
I'm almost 60 and I expect to live to be over 100.
(if somebody doesn't blow up the world
before then - that is).
Amen to that. :-)
Woods
I got the Reptoids that are actually running the major countries on this planet
promiss they will render any type of
weapon that might blow up this planet
useless! However they said they couldn't
do anything about any natural events on this planet like floods, earthquakes,
volcanoes, etc.

BTW, did I mention that I made a dry ice volcano in my Jr. High science class
contest and won first place. They gave
me a prize too. I didn't have to go tomy PE class for six months.

I've always had a close relationship
and much respect for the woods.

Dani
2005-01-04 10:20:55 UTC
Date: 1/2/2005 12:08 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Right you are on all that water info.
That's 'cause I'm a water freak .. ;)
Post by TaDa Pope
I drink about 2 gallons a day
You must be pissin' a lot - but really, good for you.
Post by TaDa Pope
and I
take 3000mg of SOD with it as an
antioxidant agent.
'Never heard of it.
Post by TaDa Pope
I'm almost 60
60! I would've never guessed that. You exude such a youthful spirit.
But "age ain't nuttin' but a number" right? You're only as old as you
feel.. mentally. Physically we obviously can't stop the aging
process, but it's our spirit; our mind - our soul - the way some
fortunate ones still see the world through a child's eyes.
Post by TaDa Pope
and I expect to live to be over 100.
And with that positive attitude - I've no doubt that you will. None.
Post by TaDa Pope
(if somebody doesn't blow up the world
before then - that is).
..and on that note.. I'll feel lucky if I make it to 40.

PS: Hope you're feeling better Little Buddy, Uncle Wally told me
of your unfortunate stay at the hospital. It's good to see you back
in such an up-beat mode .. :)

Cheers,

Dani
Michael Johnathan McDonald
2005-01-02 22:38:24 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Dani
Woods,
I make it a point to drink up to 8 glasses of water a day. It was
hard at first (had to pretty much force myself) - but I actually began
to enjoy it after a little while. It has a lot of benefits.
It sure does, but I do not do it, as I should.
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
OK, I'll take a easy resolution that I will drink four 8-ounce glasses
of water a day for one month. I think I can handle that.
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Don't set yourself up for defeat - its better not to make a resolution
if you can. :-)
Post by Dani
Cheers,
Dani
Woods
Dani
2005-01-04 07:56:21 UTC
On 2 Jan 2005 14:38:24 -0800, "Michael Johnathan McDonald"
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Dani
to enjoy it after a little while. It has a lot of benefits.
It sure does, but I do not do it, as I should.
Well, a lot of people don't. They don't know what they're missing
though. I love my water. I will admit that it was hard at first
because I felt like I *had to* get down 8 glasses a day.. nobody likes
to feel like they have to so something. But once I relaxed and too it
in stride and starting noticing the benefits - it was a pleasure
rather than what I perceived as a task.

Now there's no way I'd go a day without it.
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
OK, I'll take a easy resolution that I will drink four 8-ounce glasses
of water a day for one month. I think I can handle that.
Awesome! .. :) I think you'll find that you made a good choice.
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Don't set yourself up for defeat - its better not to make a resolution
if you can. :-)
Maybe I need the push.

Dani
Dani
2005-01-04 08:44:54 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Michael Johnathan McDonald
It sure does, but I do not do it, as I should.
..oops I know you like correcting mistakes, Michael ;) - typed this
ridiculously fast.
Post by Dani
Well, a lot of people don't. They don't know what they're missing
though. I love my water. I will admit that it was hard at first
because I felt like I *had to* get down 8 glasses a day.. nobody likes
to feel like they have to do something. But once I relaxed and took it
in stride, and started noticing the benefits - it was a pleasure
rather than what I perceived as a task.
Woodswun
2005-01-04 22:49:01 UTC
Post by Dani
On 2 Jan 2005 14:38:24 -0800, "Michael Johnathan McDonald"
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Don't set yourself up for defeat - its better not to make a resolution
if you can. :-)
Maybe I need the push.
::oommpf:: ::urrrgghh:: <- (pushing sounds)

:-D

Woods
Woodswun
2005-01-02 23:00:21 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee .....
You can still have your coffee! I drink my water *and* coffee at the
same time. I'll have a glass before my coffee, sip while I'm drinking
my coffee - then have two glasses after my coffee.
Nope. What I'm doing is drinking *only* water. I already drink 6-8 glasses of
water per day, so now I'm spending a month drinking nothing but water to see if
there's any change. IOW, I'm cutting out everything except the water.
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
Thanks.
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Try substituting something else.

Woods
MonsieurStat
2005-01-02 23:39:36 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee .....
You can still have your coffee! I drink my water *and* coffee at the
same time. I'll have a glass before my coffee, sip while I'm drinking
my coffee - then have two glasses after my coffee.
Nope. What I'm doing is drinking *only* water. I already drink 6-8 glasses of
water per day, so now I'm spending a month drinking nothing but water to see if
there's any change. IOW, I'm cutting out everything except the water.
The toughest part is the first 2-3 days. You'll experience a lot of hunger
of course, but also episodes of weakness, agressivity, sadness, and other
unpleasant emotions. Then the hunger will subside, your senses will start
getting sharper, you'll become aware of your internal organs, etc. Around a
week into it, you'll feel so much at ease that you might almost feel
disappointed that it is not any harder or challenging. Be on your guard,
because the yeast in your body will now start screaming for food. So you
could get these EXTREMELY strong urges to have some kinds of food especially
those containing white floor or sugar. Your mind might also start zoning
off, sometimes you may wonder why you're doing this at all, with no answer
to be found. Past second week, these episodes will occur a lot less often.
Usually third and fourth weeks are a breeze. People around you might start
worrying about you though. Have a diet plan for when the month is over. You
can't just go back to eating a copious meal. That will be bad... You may
also want to consider putting some maple syrup and lemon juice in your
water. Good luck and it may not be a bad idea to talk to your doctor or
nutritionist to make sure you don't have any particular conditions that
would make you an unsuitable candidate for this kind of diet.
Stat.
Woods
Woodswun
2005-01-02 23:57:06 UTC
Post by MonsieurStat
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
[...]
I'm not fasting, I'm just drinking water. I'd never be able to get through the
workdays on a fast, but my next goal is to select a single Saturday to fast.

So you
Post by MonsieurStat
could get these EXTREMELY strong urges to have some kinds of food especially
those containing white floor or sugar. Your mind might also start zoning
off, sometimes you may wonder why you're doing this at all, with no answer
to be found. Past second week, these episodes will occur a lot less often.
Usually third and fourth weeks are a breeze. People around you might start
worrying about you though. Have a diet plan for when the month is over. You
can't just go back to eating a copious meal. That will be bad... You may
also want to consider putting some maple syrup and lemon juice in your
water. Good luck and it may not be a bad idea to talk to your doctor or
nutritionist to make sure you don't have any particular conditions that
would make you an unsuitable candidate for this kind of diet.
Thanks, but that wasn't my plan. I think 30 days without any food or non-water
beverages is unhealthy for most individuals. I wouldn't attempt it without a
lot more planning than "Oh, that sounds like an interesting idea - I'll try
that! Next week is good!".

:-)

Woods
MonsieurStat
2005-01-03 00:03:48 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by MonsieurStat
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by MonsieurStat
[...]
Oh I am sorry. I thought you were going for a purification project. So if I
understand correctly, you're just stopping to drink other beverages except
water? What's the big deal? That's what most people do around the world all
year round.
Stat.
Post by Woodswun
:-)
Woods
Woodswun
2005-01-03 01:18:27 UTC
Post by MonsieurStat
Post by Woodswun
Post by MonsieurStat
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by MonsieurStat
[...]
Well, it's not a big deal. Dani just asked what we were doing, so I mentioned
it.

But, I have to say .... going without coffee is a killer. ;-)

Woods
Jane
2005-01-03 00:18:57 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee .....
You can still have your coffee! I drink my water *and* coffee at the
same time. I'll have a glass before my coffee, sip while I'm drinking
my coffee - then have two glasses after my coffee.
Nope. What I'm doing is drinking *only* water. I already drink 6-8 glasses of
water per day, so now I'm spending a month drinking nothing but water to see if
there's any change. IOW, I'm cutting out everything except the water.
I drink 10+ glasses per day and have for years. I have 2 coffees in am and
sometimes a tea after dinner. (I admit to a little alcohol...mainly beer
and wine...on weekends). I am lucky...don't like soda or juice (would
rather eat the whole fruit), so drinking the water is easy. You will feel
great! In time, water will be your favourite thing to drink (it's mine).

Jane
Woods
Dani
2005-01-04 08:23:32 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week
is
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
the
Post by Woodswun
Post by Woodswun
there's any change. IOW, I'm cutting out everything except the water.
I drink 10+ glasses per day and have for years.
Wow, 10+? That's great. I thought my 8 glasses were even a lot.
(somedays I have 9 though...but not often).
Post by Dani
I have 2 coffees in am and
I usually only have one coffee - every great once in awhile I'll have
two. But I compensate for it by drinking a glass of water before my
coffee; I sip while drinking my coffee, then have two more glasses
after my coffee. Maybe I'm a water freak .. ;)
Post by Dani
sometimes a tea after dinner. (I admit to a little alcohol...mainly beer
and wine...on weekends).
Oops - another of the benefits I forgot to mention - water is also a
great hang-over cure (even if you've just had a few and you don't have
a hang-over the next day - you're still somewhat dehydrated). It
washes the toxins right out of your body.
Post by Dani
I am lucky...don't like soda
Ahhh.. there's a down-fall of mine, I really like soda. But I'll have
one as a treat; it's not on a regular basis.. and I also drink more
water when I have a soda. Water is my absolute favorite beverage.
Post by Dani
or juice (would
rather eat the whole fruit),
I really don't like juice so no problem there. I like oranges, grapes
and plums.
Post by Dani
so drinking the water is easy. You will feel
great! In time, water will be your favourite thing to drink (it's mine).
Fully agreed!

Dani
Jane
2005-01-04 10:02:51 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
felt any differently. It wasn't really a resolution so much as next week
is
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
the
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
sometimes a tea after dinner. (I admit to a little alcohol...mainly beer
and wine...on weekends).
Oops - another of the benefits I forgot to mention - water is also a
great hang-over cure (even if you've just had a few and you don't have
a hang-over the next day - you're still somewhat dehydrated). It
washes the toxins right out of your body.
Yep...if I've "had a few', I down a big glass of water before bed. Works
like a charm!

Jane
Dani
Dani
2005-01-04 07:46:42 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure I can go without the morning coffee .....
You can still have your coffee! I drink my water *and* coffee at the
same time. I'll have a glass before my coffee, sip while I'm drinking
my coffee - then have two glasses after my coffee.
Nope. What I'm doing is drinking *only* water. I already drink 6-8 glasses of
water per day, so now I'm spending a month drinking nothing but water to see if
there's any change. IOW, I'm cutting out everything except the water.
Oh! Alright - I thought you meant that you wanted to start drinking
*more* water.. my bad.
Post by Woodswun
I'll see if it lasts more
than a day .... :-D
I think you can do it. It'll be hard at first, and you might feel
like you're *forcing* yourself to do it.. but once you feel the
benefits - it will become a daily habit that you'll actually enjoy
because you know you're doing something good for yourself.
Good luck! I'll check back in a month .. :)
Thanks.
No problemo.
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Try substituting something else.
Can't. I'm the type of person that just does it. No patches or gum..
I'm not saying they aren't great for others, but for me it's all or
nothing.

Dani
Woods
Woodswun
2005-01-04 22:46:17 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
Happy New Year to you, too!
Thanks .. :)
Post by Woodswun
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
PS: I'll post my resolution(s) here soon 'cause I haven't quite
figured out yet if I have the will power to give up something
that I know I have to give up.
Try substituting something else.
Can't. I'm the type of person that just does it. No patches or gum..
I'm not saying they aren't great for others, but for me it's all or
nothing.
Best of luck. Stopping any habit is extremely difficult.

Woods
Su Zanadu
2005-01-02 07:13:57 UTC
Waiting until the end of the year to make changes is for
procrastinators.

If anybody has a New Year's resolution then you should add:

STOP PROCRASTINATING!! ;)

And of course...
REHAB is for QUITTERS! ;)

SuZanne
Dani
2005-01-02 20:29:49 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
Waiting until the end of the year to make changes is for
procrastinators.
STOP PROCRASTINATING!! ;)
No! I don't mean everyday things that we know we have to/are supposed
to do. I mean having a *clean slate* to work towards changing
something *major* that we know we should stop but it's hard. Like
smoking cigarettes for instance.. or starting an exercise regime and
cutting out the fatty foods we eat - that type of thing.

Now I remember you saying that you know you should be doing more
important things than hanging around this group so much (don't worry.
I'm an addict too .. :) Something like that - like cutting back on
your internet time and doing those things that you said were more
important.

I'm not ready to yet disclose my resolution because I'm still trying
to build up the will power.

Dani
Post by Su Zanadu
And of course...
REHAB is for QUITTERS! ;)
SuZanne
Su Zanadu
2005-01-03 03:26:03 UTC
No! I don't mean everyday things that we
know we have to/are supposed to do.
I know you didn't mean that. Neither did I.
I mean having a *clean slate* to work
towards changing something *major*
that we know we should stop but it's
hard. Like smoking cigarettes for
instance.. or starting an exercise regime
and cutting out the fatty foods we eat -
that type of thing.
Right. And I think if you want or need to quit smoking you should not
wait until the new year to do it.

New Year's resolutions are just a tradition for some as it is for my
family to have blackeyed peas and greens on January 1st. *That* one we
follow! ;)
Now I remember you saying that you
know you should be doing more
important things than hanging around
this group so much (don't worry. I'm an
addict too .. :) Something like that - like
cutting back on your internet time and
doing those things that you said were
more important.
Well that wasn't exactly what I said but the meaning behind it was that
I know I am just wasting time when I post in the ng. It just isn't very
productive but then neither is watching Tv or going to the movies. I'm
not too concerned as you can see....here I am! :)
I'm not ready to yet disclose my
resolution because I'm still trying to
build up the will power.
Don't feel obligated to disclose it here. If it is something you really
feel strongly about then just do it at your own pace in private. Who
needs the added pressure? And then if you do succeed, you can tell
everybody of your accomplishment.

SuZanne
Dani
Dani
2005-01-04 07:40:31 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
No! I don't mean everyday things that we
know we have to/are supposed to do.
I know you didn't mean that. Neither did I.
I mean having a *clean slate* to work
towards changing something *major*
that we know we should stop but it's
hard. Like smoking cigarettes for
instance.. or starting an exercise regime
and cutting out the fatty foods we eat -
that type of thing.
Right. And I think if you want or need to quit smoking you should not
wait until the new year to do it.
Well it isn't as if I *planned* to wait until the end of the year,
it's just something that I've contemplated for a long time now
and something that I want to stop (you've been there you know
how hard it is) - but I figured a brand new year, a birthday, so a new
age.. a clean slate. It's not like all year I thought: "gee, I really
should quit smoking; but I think I'll wait 'till January 1st!"

Resolutions are more-so having a clean slate..."okay brand new year,
maybe I can start it off right."
Post by Su Zanadu
New Year's resolutions are just a tradition for some as it is for my
family to have blackeyed peas and greens on January 1st. *That* one we
follow! ;)
Now I remember you saying that you
know you should be doing more
important things than hanging around
this group so much (don't worry. I'm an
addict too .. :) Something like that - like
cutting back on your internet time and
doing those things that you said were
more important.
Well that wasn't exactly what I said but the meaning behind it was that
I know I am just wasting time when I post in the ng. It just isn't very
productive but then neither is watching Tv or going to the movies. I'm
not too concerned as you can see....here I am! :)
Yeah.. excuses excuses.. we addicts are in *denial*! (jest kiddin')

I really do enjoy posting here. I've never been involved in an
internet group before - I feel like I know so many of you guys (do you
feel that way too?) And it does get addicting; like watching a sitcom
or soap-opera where you just *have* to see what the characters in the
show will do next - except this time, we're *part* of the show! .. :)

Wouldn't it be a trip if we all met in person? I mean, we've had
these images of the people behind the posts for years.. I wonder how
close our images would be to the real thing? We could have an apn
get-together .. hehe. I'd do it just 'cause I'm craazzy like that,
don't know how many others would though.
Post by Su Zanadu
I'm not ready to yet disclose my
resolution because I'm still trying to
build up the will power.
Don't feel obligated to disclose it here. If it is something you really
feel strongly about then just do it at your own pace in private. Who
needs the added pressure? And then if you do succeed, you can tell
everybody of your accomplishment.
Alright it's smoking!!! Smoking yucky ol' nasty cigarettes. I have
to frankly admit that I love the damned things. I started at *13*,
imagine that...11 years I've been doing it. But, and I'm very proud
of this - I only had 7 cigarettes today.. so I'm starting.. and I'll
tell ya, I don't like the way I feel physically, and it was quite the
feat to only have 7. I'm honestly afraid of getting sick from these
things though. When you're younger you never think about stuff like
that - you never think you'll get sick; or you think you'll get sick
when you're in your 60's or something...ahhhh.. youth. But now I'm
25, that's only 5 years away from 30! I'm getting up there now.

This is gonna be a toughie.

(sorry for the ramble)

Dani
SuZanne
Jane
2005-01-04 10:00:42 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
[...]
Good luck, Dani, you can do it! I started at 12 years old and smoked until
I was 27. I was a pack-and-a-half to 2-packs-a-day smoker. It was the
hardest thing I ever did and I had several false starts, but I did it! (A
little bout with thyroid cancer inspired me, too :) )

Still occasionally get a craving, but it gets easier in time. It helps too
that not as many people smoke these days!

BTW, Marv, if you read this, how are you doing???

Jane
Post by Dani
SuZanne
Dani
2005-01-06 05:22:19 UTC
Post by Jane
Post by Dani
Alright it's smoking!!! Smoking yucky ol' nasty cigarettes. I have
to frankly admit that I love the damned things. I started at *13*,
imagine that...11 years I've been doing it. But, and I'm very proud
of this - I only had 7 cigarettes today.. so I'm starting.. and I'll
tell ya, I don't like the way I feel physically, and it was quite the
feat to only have 7. I'm honestly afraid of getting sick from these
things though. When you're younger you never think about stuff like
that - you never think you'll get sick; or you think you'll get sick
when you're in your 60's or something...ahhhh.. youth. But now I'm
25, that's only 5 years away from 30! I'm getting up there now.
This is gonna be a toughie.
(sorry for the ramble)
Good luck, Dani, you can do it!
Thanks for the encouragment.. I hope I can.
Post by Jane
I started at 12 years old and smoked until
I was 27.
And I started at 13 and now I'm trying to stop at 25. 'Guess we have
more in common than "Law and Order" .. ;)

When I was 13, we (my friends and I) thought it was "cool" .. we would
take cigarettes from my parents when they weren't looking, grab a
small plastic or paper cup of water to put them out in quick - rather
than an ashtray because if we heard someone coming, there wouldn't be
enough time to put them out in an ashtray. Then we'd run up to my
room, lock the door, open the windows in my room all the way, get real
close to the window and smoke them (we didn't even *inhale* at
first!), look at each other and giggle, while we blew the smoke out
the window.

Oh yeah.. we had it all planned out. And I never once got caught.

So it was the thrill at first; that feeling you get when you know
you're doing something bad. I didn't even *like* the cigarettes at
first LOL! I thought they were gross.. but again, back then, to a 13
year old - it was "fun" to be bad.

But of course gradually I started to like them.. and I started to
inhale .. :)

Then I got addicted.

And as the song goes - "The thrill is gone" !!
Post by Jane
I was a pack-and-a-half to 2-packs-a-day smoker. It was the
hardest thing I ever did and I had several false starts, but I did it! (A
little bout with thyroid cancer inspired me, too :) )
My God.. I'm sorry to hear that. Cancer? That must've been the
most terrifying time in your life. I'm very happy to hear that you're
doing well now though. Strong woman.

That's what is driving me the most here, the thought
of getting sick. I'm petrified of getting sick. I mean, here I am
drinking 8 glasses of water everyday - religiously working out on a
very challenging exercise regime (Martial Arts) .. but I'm smoking!?!

Aaaarrggghhh! I gotta gotta gotta get these thing out of my life.
Post by Jane
Still occasionally get a craving, but it gets easier in time. It helps too
that not as many people smoke these days!
Big problemo here - *so* many people I know smoke. *That* is going to
be extremely difficult; because I have no intention, ever, whatsoever
of dropping my friends (some I've known since I was 5 years old).

This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
Post by Jane
BTW, Marv, if you read this, how are you doing???
Yeah Marvin - if you're out there, give a shout.

Dani
Post by Jane
Jane
Post by Dani
SuZanne
Steven Douglas
2005-01-09 06:32:27 UTC
Post by Dani
Big problemo here - *so* many people I know smoke. *That* is going to
be extremely difficult; because I have no intention, ever, whatsoever
of dropping my friends (some I've known since I was 5 years old).
I quit smoking at age 31, cold turkey. It was the single most difficult
thing I have ever had to do, because I loved my cigarettes too (but I
HATE them now)! I was fortunate to have a girlfriend at the time who
gave me a lot of positive encouragement. I'd have never quit without
her help -- actually it was her *insistence* -- as the patch didn't
exist at that time. If I had to do it again, I'd use the patch, or gum
(or zyban or something). I also realized I'd have to avoid hanging
around people who smoked for awhile -- actually for about 3 months. And
even then, when I'd see them smoking, I'd feel tempted to grab a
cigarette and light up. But you wind up fighting those temptations and
move ahead, and it gets easier with time.
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
It takes a lot of will power. But with the help of the patch or gum or
zyban, it's got to be a lot easier than cold turkey. Good luck, it's
worth it. It feels really good to be free of cigarettes. I had a dream
a few months ago that I was smoking again and couldn't stop -- I was SO
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
Steven Douglas
2005-01-09 06:51:44 UTC
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
Right after I posted, I remembered having seen a newsgroup that has to
do with quitting smoking. So I looked it up, and it's called:

alt.quit.smoking.support

I don't know if it will help you or not, but sometimes talking with
other people who are going through the same experience -- or have
already gone through that experience -- can be helpful.
Dani
2005-01-09 18:11:44 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
Right after I posted, I remembered having seen a newsgroup that has to
alt.quit.smoking.support
I don't know if it will help you or not, but sometimes talking with
other people who are going through the same experience -- or have
already gone through that experience -- can be helpful.
Thank you. Ahhh.. but I've spent years knowing you guys! I'd have to
meet all new people!

I'll have a look at it.

Dani
Steven Douglas
2005-01-09 22:34:56 UTC
On 8 Jan 2005 22:51:44 -0800, "Steven Douglas"
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
Right after I posted, I remembered having seen a newsgroup that has to
alt.quit.smoking.support
I don't know if it will help you or not, but sometimes talking with
other people who are going through the same experience -- or have
already gone through that experience -- can be helpful.
Thank you. Ahhh.. but I've spent years knowing you guys! I'd have to
meet all new people!
You don't have to post there immeidately, but reading it will probably
be helpful to you.
I'll have a look at it.
That's good. Maybe some of those times you're tempted to smoke while
you're online, going to that other group will help you get past the
*temptation* to smoke.
Jane
2005-01-09 14:20:05 UTC
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
It takes a lot of will power. But with the help of the patch or gum or
zyban, it's got to be a lot easier than cold turkey. Good luck, it's
worth it. It feels really good to be free of cigarettes. I had a dream
a few months ago that I was smoking again and couldn't stop -- I was SO
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
That's funny; I still dream that I am smoking again sometimes...and it has
been 16 years! I will say that I still (very occasionally) get a craving,
but it is very fleeting. It is difficult around here; the municipality I am
in has banned smoking in ALL public/ workplaces and the province is set to
follow suit. Even outdoor patios (which I think is a bit draconian).

Anyway, the thyroid cancer I had at age 27 was really a blessing in
disguise! It was scary until I learned just how easily cured that form
was...I had surgery, but only to remove the lump (kept my thyroid) and take
thyroid hormone to keep it dormant. It was the wake-up call that made me
finally quit (I thought...if I keep smoking, the next cancer won't be so
easily cured!) My father and father-in-law both died in their mid-sixties
(within 9 monthes of each other) from lung cancer and both were, of course,
heavy smokers.

Anyway, I hope everyone who is trying to quit does so without having to have
a scare like that first!

Jane
Steven Douglas
2005-01-09 22:30:26 UTC
Post by Jane
Post by Jane
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
It takes a lot of will power. But with the help of the patch or gum or
zyban, it's got to be a lot easier than cold turkey. Good luck, it's
worth it. It feels really good to be free of cigarettes. I had a dream
a few months ago that I was smoking again and couldn't stop -- I was SO
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
That's funny; I still dream that I am smoking again sometimes...and it has
been 16 years! I will say that I still (very occasionally) get a craving,
but it is very fleeting.
It think that's the way it will be forever. Sometimes I'll see
someone's open pack of cigarettes sitting around, and I'm tempted to
grab one -- for about a billionth of a second. And then that temptation
is gone.
Post by Jane
It is difficult around here; the municipality I am in has
banned smoking in ALL public/ workplaces and the province is set to
follow suit. Even outdoor patios (which I think is a bit draconian).
That's happening in California too. It's the will of the majority.
That's the way it goes.
Post by Jane
(within 9 monthes of each other) from lung cancer and both were, of course,
heavy smokers.
I had an Uncle who died of lung cancer at age 57. There is no other
cancer anywhere in my family. He was a real inspiration for me to quit.
Post by Jane
Anyway, I hope everyone who is trying to quit does so without having to have
a scare like that first!
Yes, I wish EVERYONE who smokes would quit. They just don't know how
good it feels to be nicotine free.
Dani
2005-01-09 18:09:46 UTC
Post by Dani
be extremely difficult; because I have no intention, ever, whatsoever
of dropping my friends (some I've known since I was 5 years old).
I quit smoking at age 31, cold turkey. It was the single most difficult
thing I have ever had to do,
Well first *congratulations!* .. and may I ask how many you smoked a
day before cutting cold-turkey, and how old you were when you started?
And also, that must've taken *immense* will-power and strength. Also,
how did you over come the physical addiction in the beginning? Did
you feel light-headed, sort of "out of it" (that's how I'm feeling now
just by cutting back) ..

(sorry for all the questions!)
Post by Steven Douglas
because I loved my cigarettes too (but I
HATE them now)!
Oh I love 'em! Sad to say.. wish I hated them.
Post by Steven Douglas
I was fortunate to have a girlfriend at the time who
gave me a lot of positive encouragement. I'd have never quit without
her help -- actually it was her *insistence* --
Yeah.. see, I don't have anyone like that in my life. Almost everyone
around me smokes.. well, except for the teachers and students at my
Martial Arts school; and some of my co-workers. But except for this
group (where I've known many people here for years and I consider them
friends), there's nobody in my face-to-face everyday life that I can
turn to. Misery does love company you know (that's not just a myth),
why would they encourage me when they're smokers themselves?
Post by Steven Douglas
as the patch didn't
exist at that time. If I had to do it again, I'd use the patch, or gum
(or zyban or something).
I'm going to look into Zyban. The patch and gum doesn't appeal to me.
Post by Steven Douglas
I also realized I'd have to avoid hanging
around people who smoked for awhile -- actually for about 3 months.
Ahhh.. that's difficult for me. They're my people. You have to
understand that I grew up in South Boston; a close-nit Irish
community. The vast majority of people I know, I've known since
playing in the sand-box. We're like family. If I was to "disappear"
for a bit - they'd take that personally. That is one of the biggest
reasons I want to quit cold-turkey.
Post by Steven Douglas
And
even then, when I'd see them smoking, I'd feel tempted to grab a
cigarette and light up. But you wind up fighting those temptations and
move ahead, and it gets easier with time.
Will power.. strenght. I've been through so much in my life that
I *think* (well hope) I can beat this.
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
It takes a lot of will power. But with the help of the patch or gum or
zyban, it's got to be a lot easier than cold turkey. Good luck, it's
worth it. It feels really good to be free of cigarettes. I had a dream
a few months ago that I was smoking again and couldn't stop -- I was SO
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
Thank you, Steven. I do appreciate it. I'm workin' on it! Down to
10 a day!! .. :)

Dani
Steven Douglas
2005-01-09 22:24:04 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
thing I have ever had to do,
Well first *congratulations!* .. and may I ask how many you smoked a
day before cutting cold-turkey, and how old you were when you
started?

I started when I was about 15, but didn't really make it a habit until
I was 18. By the time I quit, I was smoking about 2 1/2 packs a day --
almost a chain smoker.
And also, that must've taken *immense* will-power and strength.
Also,
how did you over come the physical addiction in the beginning? Did
you feel light-headed, sort of "out of it" (that's how I'm feeling now
just by cutting back) ..
Yes, that light-headed feeling is part of the withdrawl. That group I
mentioned has someone one there who gives a lot of tips how to overcome
the withdrawl symptoms.
(sorry for all the questions!)
That's all right, I don't mind.
Post by Steven Douglas
as the patch didn't
exist at that time. If I had to do it again, I'd use the patch, or gum
(or zyban or something).
I'm going to look into Zyban. The patch and gum doesn't appeal to me.
Judging by my own experience, I have to believe one of those things
must be better than nothing.
Post by Steven Douglas
I also realized I'd have to avoid hanging
around people who smoked for awhile -- actually for about 3 months.
Ahhh.. that's difficult for me. They're my people. You have to
understand that I grew up in South Boston; a close-nit Irish
community. The vast majority of people I know, I've known since
playing in the sand-box. We're like family. If I was to "disappear"
for a bit - they'd take that personally. That is one of the biggest
reasons I want to quit cold-turkey.
You don't have to disappear. You can keep in touch with them, but I'd
avoid hanging around with a group of smokers for any period of time. It
would just get TOO tempting.
Post by Steven Douglas
And
even then, when I'd see them smoking, I'd feel tempted to grab a
cigarette and light up. But you wind up fighting those temptations and
move ahead, and it gets easier with time.
Will power.. strenght. I've been through so much in my life that
I *think* (well hope) I can beat this.
You have to *know* you can beat it ... and from what I know of you
(reading your posts), I know you can do it.
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Dani
This will be harder than I originally thought.. no doubt.
It takes a lot of will power. But with the help of the patch or gum or
zyban, it's got to be a lot easier than cold turkey. Good luck, it's
worth it. It feels really good to be free of cigarettes. I had a dream
a few months ago that I was smoking again and couldn't stop -- I was SO
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
Thank you, Steven. I do appreciate it. I'm workin' on it! Down to
10 a day!! .. :)
That's a good start! Don't get discouraged if you slip a few times
getting started. Once you quit for good, that's when you'll really be
on your way to freedom!
Dani
2005-01-10 07:06:00 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
thing I have ever had to do,
Well first *congratulations!* .. and may I ask how many you smoked a
day before cutting cold-turkey, and how old you were when you
started?
I started when I was about 15, but didn't really make it a habit until
I was 18.
I was way too young.. 13. And it's been consistent ever since.
Post by Dani
By the time I quit, I was smoking about 2 1/2 packs a day --
almost a chain smoker.
Wow.. that is *a lot* - I don't know how you quit cold-turkey having
nearly been a chain smoker.

I smok(ed) up to a pack a day.. now I'm down to half a pack. And yes
it is so hard.

What I do is take out *only* ten cigarettes, put them in an empty pack
and leave the rest at home. It's like locking up the man during the
day - knowing that he'll turn into a werewolf come midnigth. LOL!

If I don't have 'em - I don't have 'em. That's my methodology for
now.

Yeah.. that's another good tip I learned trying to reduce the amount
of cigarettes I have daily by only bringing ten and leaving
(or hiding) the rest.
Post by Dani
And also, that must've taken *immense* will-power and strength.
Also,
how did you over come the physical addiction in the beginning? Did
you feel light-headed, sort of "out of it" (that's how I'm feeling
now
just by cutting back) ..
Yes, that light-headed feeling is part of the withdrawl. That group I
mentioned has someone one there who gives a lot of tips how to overcome
the withdrawl symptoms.
I'm just pretty much suffering actually. That's just me though. When
I do something I don't beat around the bush. I want to get it over
with quickly.
Post by Dani
(sorry for all the questions!)
That's all right, I don't mind.
Well you overame it; you're an ex-addict. Who better to get advice
from than someone who has been there and conquered it?
Post by Steven Douglas
I also realized I'd have to avoid hanging
around people who smoked for awhile -- actually for about 3 months.
Ahhh.. that's difficult for me. They're my people. You have to
understand that I grew up in South Boston; a close-nit Irish
community. The vast majority of people I know, I've known since
playing in the sand-box. We're like family. If I was to "disappear"
for a bit - they'd take that personally. That is one of the biggest
reasons I want to quit cold-turkey.
You don't have to disappear. You can keep in touch with them, but I'd
avoid hanging around with a group of smokers for any period of time. It
would just get TOO tempting.
Well we really don't hang out much now because I'm busy all week.
It's the *weekends* that we more than often not hang out.

And yeah I know it would be way too tempting. That's one of the
quagmires here.
Post by Steven Douglas
move ahead, and it gets easier with time.
Will power.. strenght. I've been through so much in my life that
I *think* (well hope) I can beat this.
You have to *know* you can beat it ... and from what I know of you
(reading your posts), I know you can do it.
You're not the only person here and elsewhere who have told me I'm
strong. And I honest to God don't get it. I don't feel that way.
What is it about me that seems strong?
Post by Dani
Post by Steven Douglas
happy when I woke up and realized it was only a dream!
Thank you, Steven. I do appreciate it. I'm workin' on it! Down to
10 a day!! .. :)
That's a good start! Don't get discouraged if you slip a few times
getting started. Once you quit for good, that's when you'll really be
on your way to freedom
I know exactly what you mean by freedom in this regard. It honestly
can run your entire life (ie: gotta have a cigarette with my coffee;
gotta have a cigarette after I eat.. gotta have a cigarette when I
come here; gotta have a cigarette there - Ah! tyink I'll have a
cigarette driving in my car ..

Or on the phone! Or with a couple drinks - or when shootin' the shit
(hanging around with friends). Or.. or../ we can always attribute it
to just about *anything* .. I've taken bubble baths and smoked in the
bathtub because I thought it was more relaxing. That's how much we
can attribute it to.

It dictates your life if you look at it that way.

Nah .. only *me* dictates me .. :)

Dani
Steven Douglas
2005-01-11 07:33:24 UTC
On 9 Jan 2005 14:24:04 -0800, "Steven Douglas"
Post by Steven Douglas
You have to *know* you can beat it ... and from what I know of you
(reading your posts), I know you can do it.
You're not the only person here and elsewhere who have told me I'm
strong. And I honest to God don't get it. I don't feel that way.
What is it about me that seems strong?
I sense a tenacity in you that you can tap into for strength when you
need it. And if people who know you have told you you're strong, then I
must be right. Sometimes we don't even realize an inner strength we
have while others easily recognize it in us.
Post by Steven Douglas
started. Once you quit for good, that's when you'll really
be on your way to freedom
I know exactly what you mean by freedom in this regard. It honestly
can run your entire life (ie: gotta have a cigarette with my coffee;
gotta have a cigarette after I eat.. gotta have a cigarette when I
come here; gotta have a cigarette there - Ah! tyink I'll have a
cigarette driving in my car ..
Or on the phone! Or with a couple drinks - or when shootin' the shit
(hanging around with friends). Or.. or../ we can always attribute it
to just about *anything* .. I've taken bubble baths and smoked in the
bathtub because I thought it was more relaxing. That's how much we
can attribute it to.
It dictates your life if you look at it that way.
Nah .. only *me* dictates me .. :)
See, there's that tenacity I was talking about! I KNOW you're going to
quit ... and in a few weeks, you'll look back and realize it is the
*best* thing you could ever do for yourself.
Woodswun
2005-01-04 22:54:55 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
[...]
I've heard the quitting smoking is the most difficult addiction/habit to
overcome, and that nicotine is the most addictive substance there is. Keep on
keeping at it - every cigarette you DON'T smoke is less tar in your lungs.

I'm not sure how much cigarettes cost in your area, but one trick that I've
heard is to use the money that you would have spent on cigarettes on something
else. The person that told me that one got flowers for her house with her
"cigarette" money. At today's prices, you'd probably be able to go to a spa
once a week. (Cigarettes are very expensive in the northeast - my sister says
they are between $45 - 50 per carton. Youch!)

Good luck - we're rooting for you!!!

Woods
Dani
2005-01-09 02:36:20 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Alright it's smoking!!! Smoking yucky ol' nasty cigarettes. I have
to frankly admit that I love the damned things. I started at *13*,
imagine that...11 years I've been doing it. But, and I'm very proud
of this - I only had 7 cigarettes today.. so I'm starting.. and I'll
tell ya, I don't like the way I feel physically, and it was quite the
feat to only have 7. I'm honestly afraid of getting sick from these
things though. When you're younger you never think about stuff like
that - you never think you'll get sick; or you think you'll get sick
when you're in your 60's or something...ahhhh.. youth. But now I'm
25, that's only 5 years away from 30! I'm getting up there now.
This is gonna be a toughie.
I've heard the quitting smoking is the most difficult addiction/habit to
overcome, and that nicotine is the most addictive substance there is.
Well it's definitely up there - but nothing like heroin or crack. Or
Oxcycontin.
Post by Woodswun
Keep on
keeping at it - every cigarette you DON'T smoke is less tar in your lungs.
You know what's strange? I haven't noticed any adverse side-effects
*yet* (knock on wood) - like shortness of breath, that nasty cough
that a lot of smokers get .. *but* I know if I keep it up that will be
inevitable...or worse.
Post by Woodswun
I'm not sure how much cigarettes cost in your area,
$5.00 a pack.
Post by Woodswun
but one trick that I've
heard is to use the money that you would have spent on cigarettes on something
else. The person that told me that one got flowers for her house with her
"cigarette" money. At today's prices, you'd probably be able to go to a spa
once a week. (Cigarettes are very expensive in the northeast - my sister says
they are between $45 - 50 per carton. Youch!)
Oh yeah - that would be $35.00 extra dollars a week! and $140.00
dollars a month .. :) Didn't think of it that way (I buy 'em by the
pack..)
Post by Woodswun
Good luck - we're rooting for you!!!
Thank you!!! I honestly *do* appreciate it.

Dani
Woods
Dani
2005-01-09 03:35:18 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Woodswun
I've heard the quitting smoking is the most difficult addiction/habit to
overcome, and that nicotine is the most addictive substance there is.
Well it's definitely up there - but nothing like heroin or crack. Or
Oxcycontin.
Oops - forgot to mention - benzos (xanax, klonopin) are pretty rough
business also. You can *die* from cutting benzos cold-turkey.. as
opposed to heroin - believe it or not, you can't die from heroin
withdrawel; you most certainly *feel* like you are about to die.. but
you can't. The only way you die from heroin is if you overdose.

With benzos you can go into seizures and convulsions.

Not to mention what the benzos and opiates can do to your liver.

Most certainly a far cry from nicotine. Although I do know it's hell
getting off of them.

Dani
Michael Johnathan McDonald
2005-01-05 00:22:54 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
I'm not ready to yet disclose my
resolution because I'm still trying to
build up the will power.
Don't feel obligated to disclose it here. If it is something you really
feel strongly about then just do it at your own pace in private. Who
needs the added pressure? And then if you do succeed, you can tell
everybody of your accomplishment.
Alright it's smoking!!! Smoking yucky ol' nasty cigarettes. I have
to frankly admit that I love the damned things. I started at *13*,
imagine that...11 years I've been doing it.
Lungs fully replace themselves in 7 years. Although, I believe there
is a limit to how old one is and how far progressed one's black-lung
is. You seem young enough that you follow in the replacement category
:-)
Post by Dani
But, and I'm very proud
of this - I only had 7 cigarettes today.. so I'm starting.. and I'll
tell ya, I don't like the way I feel physically, and it was quite the
feat to only have 7. I'm honestly afraid of getting sick from these
things though.
Actually, that is a good motive for quitting.
Post by Dani
When you're younger you never think about stuff like
that
Exactly.
Post by Dani
- you never think you'll get sick; or you think you'll get sick
when you're in your 60's or something...ahhhh.. youth. But now I'm
25, that's only 5 years away from 30! I'm getting up there now.
This is gonna be a toughie.
Find something to replace that cig. in your mouth. Like hard candy,
chewing gum, or even nibble some vegetables, but keep your mouth
occupied. It truly helps.

I'll pray for you - I know it is hard (If that is alright?).
Post by Dani
(sorry for the ramble)
Day 4 of 4x8ounces of water resolution. Haven't broken it yet.
Post by Dani
Dani
SuZanne
Dani
2005-01-09 03:11:16 UTC
On 4 Jan 2005 16:22:54 -0800, "Michael Johnathan McDonald"
Post by Dani
Alright it's smoking!!! Smoking yucky ol' nasty cigarettes. I have
to frankly admit that I love the damned things. I started at *13*,
imagine that...11 years I've been doing it.
Lungs fully replace themselves in 7 years. Although, I believe there
is a limit to how old one is and how far progressed one's black-lung
is. You seem young enough that you follow in the replacement category
:-)
Well I'll tell ya, Michael.. I *certainly* hope you're right!
Post by Dani
But, and I'm very proud
of this - I only had 7 cigarettes today.. so I'm starting.. and I'll
tell ya, I don't like the way I feel physically, and it was quite the
feat to only have 7. I'm honestly afraid of getting sick from these
things though.
Actually, that is a good motive for quitting.
Definitely - it makes no sense that I try to keep my body in tip-top
condition but I'm a smoker. None whatsoever.
Post by Dani
When you're younger you never think about stuff like
that
Exactly.
Oh no.. we think we're invincible then.. Wild.. (how I miss those
days!)
Post by Dani
- you never think you'll get sick; or you think you'll get sick
when you're in your 60's or something...ahhhh.. youth. But now I'm
25, that's only 5 years away from 30! I'm getting up there now.
This is gonna be a toughie.
Find something to replace that cig. in your mouth. Like hard candy,
chewing gum, or even nibble some vegetables, but keep your mouth
occupied. It truly helps.
I've been chewing a lot of gum lately (not the nicotine gum; regular
gum..) - I've also uped my water intake.
Post by Michael Johnathan McDonald
I'll pray for you - I know it is hard (If that is alright?).
Were you once a smoker? Sure you can pray for me.. I'd never
discourage that.
Post by Michael Johnathan McDonald
Day 4 of 4x8ounces of water resolution. Haven't broken it yet.
Congrats! You'll find that it was a wise choice in the long run.

Dani
La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
2005-01-09 03:23:10 UTC
Post by Dani
[...]
Your Uncle Wally has only smoked about a dozen cigarettes in his entire
life 00 & only in moments of extremely stressful situations where the
moments required some "stress relief"

I don't like the stench of cigarette smoke, particularly in pubs 00 and
this puts me off !!!

It also blocks my nasal passages & really fricks me up !!

I love the alcoholic beverages more which give me pleasure....

The oi' Johnn Walker, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels (good on ya fellas !!!)
mixed
with Vanilla Diet Coke really hits the spot !!!!!!1

Hooroo / Toodles ;-)

Uncle Wally ;-)

Dani
2005-01-09 03:55:53 UTC
On 8 Jan 2005 19:23:10 -0800, "La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le
Post by Dani
On 4 Jan 2005 16:22:54 -0800, "Michael Johnathan McDonald"
Zanadu)
Post by Dani
[...]
..good on you! Really. I've always wished I could be an "occasional
smoker" - too bad your neice Dani started at the (way too young age
of 13..) Yes I was a "Wild Child" - do often miss those days here and
there...and most certainly got a tad bit left in me .. ;) But nothing
like before.

For me it was never "stress relief" - it started out as thinking I was
"cool" (now mind you, I was 13) .. then it led to addiction.

And here I am at 25 and the damn habit lingers..
I don't like the stench of cigarette smoke, particularly in pubs 00 and
this puts me off !!!
You know.. I don't notice it 'cause I'm a smoker myself. But I *did*
notice that I hated the smell of my parents' smoke before I started.
It also blocks my nasal passages & really fricks me up !!
That hasn't happened to me .. yet.
I love the alcoholic beverages more which give me pleasure....
I like it here and there.. not anywhere *near* as much as I used to.
The oi' Johnn Walker, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels (good on ya fellas !!!)
Ha Ha! I *also* love Jack Daniels with coke (coca-cola that is .. ;)

..named my dog JD!
mixed
with Vanilla Diet Coke really hits the spot !!!!!!1
Hooroo / Toodles ;-)
Cheerio/ lata gata .. ;)

Neice Dani
Uncle Wally ;-)
R. Foreman
2005-01-09 07:11:20 UTC
Post by La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
Your Uncle Wally has only smoked about a dozen cigarettes in his entire
life 00 & only in moments of extremely stressful situations where the
moments required some "stress relief"
I don't like the stench of cigarette smoke, particularly in pubs 00 and
this puts me off !!!
It also blocks my nasal passages & really fricks me up !!
I love the alcoholic beverages more which give me pleasure....
The oi' Johnn Walker, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels (good on ya fellas !!!)
mixed
with Vanilla Diet Coke really hits the spot !!!!!!1
Hooroo / Toodles ;-)
Uncle Wally ;-)
Hey Wally, I saw a Ripley's Believe It or Not show which talked
about some opal mines in Australia where people would dig into
the earth and build dwellings, cities underground, even hotels
dug into the earth. Do you know where this is at?

R. Foreman
La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
2005-01-10 01:13:09 UTC
Post by R. Foreman
[...]
Coober Pedy is the town U r thinking of !!!!

Coober Pedy Opal Mines

http://www.backpackaround.com/info_coober_pedy.htm

Marble Bar is also frickin' hot -- just like
Death Valley in Cali-FORNICA ;-)

U need to drink gallons of water just to stay alive !!!!

http://www.pilbara.com/marble.html

Far too hot for your Uncle Wally -- & the flies are killers !!!

Hooroo / Toodles

Uncle Wally (Lord of the Flies ;-)

R. Foreman
2005-01-11 14:26:48 UTC
Post by R. Foreman
Post by La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
this puts me off !!!
It also blocks my nasal passages & really fricks me up !!
I love the alcoholic beverages more which give me pleasure....
The oi' Johnn Walker, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels (good on ya fellas
!!!)
Post by R. Foreman
Post by La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
mixed
with Vanilla Diet Coke really hits the spot !!!!!!1
Hooroo / Toodles ;-)
Uncle Wally ;-)
Hey Wally, I saw a Ripley's Believe It or Not show which talked
about some opal mines in Australia where people would dig into
the earth and build dwellings, cities underground, even hotels
dug into the earth. Do you know where this is at?
R. Foreman
Coober Pedy is the town U r thinking of !!!!
Coober Pedy Opal Mines
http://www.backpackaround.com/info_coober_pedy.htm
Yep, that's the very one. Bizairre how they build their entire
city underground. The amount of opals they find digging out
their home pays for the cost of it and more. Really interesting.
========
La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
2005-01-12 02:42:56 UTC
Too frickin' hot for your Uncle Wally ;-)

In Monreal Canada they have vast underground shopping centers to
protect peoples from the vicious cold weather -- the most extensive
underground shopping center in the world, I believe !!!!
Hooroo ;-)

Uncle Wally ;-)

==========================
MonsieurStat
2005-01-12 05:13:59 UTC
"La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte"
Post by La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
Too frickin' hot for your Uncle Wally ;-)
In Monreal Canada they have vast underground shopping centers to
protect peoples from the vicious cold weather -- the most extensive
underground shopping center in the world, I believe !!!!
Hooroo ;-)
Yes indeed. More than 30 kilometres of passageways, containing 1,600
boutiques, 200 restaurants, 34 cinemas and 1,600 apartments. Some 500,000
people use it every day.

http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/eguide/underground/underground.html

Hooroo ;-)
Stat.
==========================
Su Zanadu
2005-01-12 12:24:28 UTC
COOL!! :)

A Mole Mall!

Underground is the way to go.
Would suck in the event of an earthquake, tho.

Does California have EQ clearance sales like Florida has hurricane
scratch and dent sales?

A bargain is a bargain! ;)

SuZanne
Dani
2005-01-13 01:47:34 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
COOL!! :)
A Mole Mall!
Underground is the way to go.
Would suck in the event of an earthquake, tho.
Does California have EQ clearance sales like Florida has hurricane
scratch and dent sales?
A bargain is a bargain! ;)
Hey - speaking of "bargains" just made me think of another New years
resolution.. I must get over my CLOTHES and SHOES obsession!

I'm addicted to cigarettes .. and - *fashion*!

At least I don't have to worry about the latter killing me though.

And it's always on-line that I shop (maybe I should hide the credit
cards before jumping on-line). Very rarely do I go to the mall.

Here's the very last thing I bought (and I already have *10*
coats/jackets!)

http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=123062&CategoryID=6216

Is there a Shop-o-Holics group I can join? .. ;)

Dani
SuZanne
La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
2005-01-13 01:54:22 UTC
That just inspired your Uncle Wally to go to my bank and
deposit another 40 buckeroos in my Progressive Saver
Account !!!!!!!

Thank-u-very-much for the inspiration !!!!!!

Hooroo / Toodle-pips
Uncle Wally ;-)

=======================================
TaDa Pope
2005-01-13 07:23:49 UTC
"=?iso-8859-1?B?TGEgYm91Y2hlIGRlIGxhIHbpcml06SAtIETpauAgVnUgTGUgUHJvcGjpd
GU=?="
Date: 1/12/2005 5:54 PM Pacific Standard Time
That just inspired your Uncle Wally to go to my bank and
deposit another 40 buckeroos in my Progressive Saver
Account !!!!!!!
Thank-u-very-much for the inspiration !!!!!!
Hooroo / Toodle-pips
Uncle Wally ;-)
=======================================
And -- Uncle Wally -- your other posted link just inspired me to cash out all
my assets
to buy party supplies. :)

Woodswun
2005-01-13 02:19:07 UTC
Post by Dani
Post by Su Zanadu
COOL!! :)
A Mole Mall!
Underground is the way to go.
Would suck in the event of an earthquake, tho.
Does California have EQ clearance sales like Florida has hurricane
scratch and dent sales?
A bargain is a bargain! ;)
Hey - speaking of "bargains" just made me think of another New years
resolution.. I must get over my CLOTHES and SHOES obsession!
I'm addicted to cigarettes .. and - *fashion*!
At least I don't have to worry about the latter killing me though.
And it's always on-line that I shop (maybe I should hide the credit
cards before jumping on-line). Very rarely do I go to the mall.
Here's the very last thing I bought (and I already have *10*
coats/jackets!)
http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=123062&CategoryID=6216
Oh, I know someone at work who would *love* that! She always wears something
pink! And what a great price for a patent leather coat - great shopping, Dani!
Post by Dani
Is there a Shop-o-Holics group I can join? .. ;)
Oh, but it was such a bargain!!! :-D

(I actually don't like shopping, but I know a bargain when I see one!)

Woods
Dani
2005-01-13 04:24:35 UTC
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Post by Su Zanadu
[...]
Pink is *in* now, Woods! I don't always follow the trends, but
they're coming out with some cool stuff lately. Black is still my
favorite color to wear, though.
Post by Woodswun
And what a great price for a patent leather coat - great shopping, Dani!
Thanks.. it's very comfortable too.. I love it.
Post by Woodswun
Post by Dani
Is there a Shop-o-Holics group I can join? .. ;)
Oh, but it was such a bargain!!! :-D
Now that jacket was definitely a bargain (on sale) - but I can get
baaaad with the shopping.

Here's an example of something I just "had to" have (amongst many)
which leads me to believe that I may need to start attending
Shop-o-Holics anonymous .. heh.

I bought these boots in pink. And seeing that I'm 5'8 I don't like
wearing high heels.. but it was just another thing that I "had to"
have.

The pink is sold out now, but it's the exact same boot only in a
different color:

http://www.xoxo.com/nshop/product.php?dept=&category=&view=detail&productid=XO-202100011086&startColor=&groupName=footwear&page=
Post by Woodswun
(I actually don't like shopping, but I know a bargain when I see one!)
I don't like shopping at malls and stores really. But I just looove
internet shopping! Just a tad *too* much :)

Dani
Woods
Su Zanadu
2005-01-13 12:28:25 UTC
Post by Dani
I'm addicted to cigarettes .. and -
*fashion*!
Then the mall is a GOOD place for you!
You can't smoke - just shop!
Post by Dani
At least I don't have to worry about the
latter killing me though.
And it's always on-line that I shop
(maybe I should hide the credit cards
before jumping on-line). Very rarely do I
go to the mall.
I love the smell of Kirklands!
And the people too.
Post by Dani
Here's the very last thing I bought (and I
already have *10* coats/jackets!)
http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=123062&CategoryID=6216

Nice :)

I'm posting my last Spencer Gifts bargains over at
alt.binaries.pictures.misc.

A Joey Ramone doll and a KISS figurine set.
Post by Dani
Is there a Shop-o-Holics group I can
join? .. ;)
I passed by a book in Sam's Wholesale Club last week called "Retail
Therapy".
I didn't buy it tho. I figured why wait? I'll start by NOT buying it. :)

SuZanne
Su Zanadu
2005-01-13 14:46:31 UTC
Okay Dani, the 5 pics I posted at alt.binaries.pictures.misc just showed
up over there.

They may be hard to find by the time you come back....they are stuck
between masses of posts like "hottest big boobs" and "sexy young
amateurs".

There must be another group to post pics in? Other than the one that
pedo-pervs post pics of underage girls at? Anybody know of one?

SuZanne
R. Foreman
2005-01-13 16:50:35 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
Okay Dani, the 5 pics I posted at alt.binaries.pictures.misc just showed
up over there.
They may be hard to find by the time you come back....they are stuck
between masses of posts like "hottest big boobs" and "sexy young
amateurs".
There must be another group to post pics in? Other than the one that
pedo-pervs post pics of underage girls at? Anybody know of one?
SuZanne
You might just look for a group that has no activity. I've
seen a few that get like one post in 6 months. I bet you
could get away with putting binaries on them. I use them
sometimes for testing how a post will appear along with an
attachment.
La bouche de la vérité - Déjà Vu Le Prophéte
2005-01-14 02:05:01 UTC
How about alt.prophecies.karl-maldens.nose ?!?

he he he ;-)

Hooroo / Toodles ;-)

Uncle Wally (just your average run-fo-the-mill, happy-go-lucky,
friendly neighborhood
Grim Reaper on Prozac™)
Su Zanadu
2005-01-14 14:36:44 UTC
Post by R. Foreman
R. Foreman
(note: no relation to the perseids)
You might just look for a group that has
no activity. I've seen a few that get like
one post in 6 months. I bet you could
get away with putting binaries on them.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
attachment.
TaDa Pope

Dani
TaDa Pope

Su Zanadu
2005-01-05 03:57:04 UTC
Dani!

You may just go stark-raving mad if you try to quit without some sort of
help.

This is an extreme physical addiction like with heroin. I have been thru
this myself (smoking *not* heroin) and it is impossible to focus on
anything else but having a cigarette.

We have talked about this before when Marvin quit. There is a pill for
this now thankfully! It has helped many people quit that were unable to
previously.

http://www.zyban.com/

No need to suffer over this.
It knocked most of the craving right out of me.
If you can do it on your own then that is great but you stand a better
chance with ZYBAN. Even then with the medication there is willpower
involved but a sane amount that you can live with.

They should send you a free six week supply for this advertisement I
just did for them! ;)

If you aren't able to quit on your own, don't blame yourself. This is a
physical thing that the mind can't control unless of course you first
succeed turning into a Buddhist monk!

Good luck!

SuZanne
Dani
2005-01-09 02:24:36 UTC
Post by Su Zanadu
Dani!
You may just go stark-raving mad if you try to quit without some sort of
help.
..I've noticed.. I'm up to 10 a day (rather that the 7 so I've gone
backwards) but it's better than my normal 20+ .. so I'm weaning.
Post by Su Zanadu
This is an extreme physical addiction like with heroin.
..well, it isn't like coming off of heroin. Heroin is much much more
severe. The heroin addict is in severe physical and mental pain
if they don't get their fix. I'm talking wriggling around in the bed
drenched in sweat; screaming - crying - vomiting .. nothing but
nothing will stop the addict from getting their fix. How many
women have you seen prostituting themselves for cigarettes?

They cannot function without going on methadone.

Now I'm *not* mitigating the nicotine addiction.. it's also hell on
earth - but nothing like heroin.
Post by Su Zanadu
I have been thru
this myself (smoking *not* heroin) and it is impossible to focus on
anything else but having a cigarette.
My sister quit cold turkey before but I know that is NOT the norm..
But also.. she was a very light smoker (maybe 5 a day tops..)

Another thing is it's best to stay away from things that you associate
smoking with; but, sad to say - this group happens to be one of the
things I happen to associate smoking with.. because I consider my
computer time my off time; my relax time.. so I always puff a few when
I post here.

But then of course I associate it with my morning coffee - my lunch
break at work.. hmmm.. driving around in my car.. when I have a few
drinks. Jeeeze! So much stuff that says: "Okay, time for a
cigarette!" that I do in my daily life. That's a toughie too.
Getting over the conditioning
Post by Su Zanadu
We have talked about this before when Marvin quit. There is a pill for
this now thankfully! It has helped many people quit that were unable to
previously.
http://www.zyban.com/
I'll have a talk with my primary care physician about that.
Post by Su Zanadu
No need to suffer over this.
It knocked most of the craving right out of me.
I thought you were still on the gum? Or did you drop that and start
on the Zyban? How many days into it did you notice relief?
Post by Su Zanadu
If you can do it on your own then that is great but you stand a better
chance with ZYBAN. Even then with the medication there is willpower
involved but a sane amount that you can live with.
They should send you a free six week supply for this advertisement I
just did for them! ;)
Yes.. that they should. Very convincing and very well written .. :)
Post by Su Zanadu
If you aren't able to quit on your own, don't blame yourself. This is a
physical thing that the mind can't control unless of course you first
succeed turning into a Buddhist monk!
Good luck!
Thank you.. I appreciate the info. I'll let you know how it comes
along.

Dani
SuZanne
TaDa Pope