This will make Doc happy!
Steven Douglas
2013-08-18 06:33:27 UTC
Enjoy, Doc!

Headline: "Obama’s Allies Attack Egypt’s Christians"

[excerpt] President Obama and his Secretary of State, John Kerry,
have come down firmly on the side of the Muslim Brotherhood,
repeatedly condemning Egypt’s military for trying to restore order
to that country, and stop its slide toward Islamic totalitarianism.

Meanwhile, the Brotherhood has gone on a rampage, murdering Christians
and burning their churches to the ground. Whether Obama and Kerry
consider this a bug or a feature has not yet been explained. The
Associated Press isn’t generally considered a pro-Christian news
outlet, but to its credit, it tells the truth about what is happening
in Egypt:

In the four days since security forces cleared two sit-in camps by supporters of Egypt’s ousted president, Islamists have attacked dozens
of Coptic churches along with homes and businesses owned by the Christian minority. …

Nearly 40 churches have been looted and torched, while 23 others
have been attacked and heavily damaged since Wednesday…. [end excerpt]

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/08/obamas-allies-attack-egypts-christians.php
Doc
2013-08-18 12:21:05 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
[...]
How would any of this make me happy?
Projection gone berserk on your part.
I'm reminded that several Christian Presidents' administrations
continued to happily supply Mubarek with US arms for 30 years while
giving scant attention to increasing charges that this man was busy
constructing, evolving a police state.
I'm also reminded that a Democratic President, a Baptist, brokered a
three decades-long successful peace pact between two ancient enemies,
resulting in saving countless lives and disabilities.
And I note that Carter left the Southern Baptist church several years
ago because of its position on the equality of women. I quote:

In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution published today,
Carter says Southern Baptist leaders reading the Bible out of context
led to the adoption of increasingly “rigid” views.

“I’m familiar with the verses they have quoted about wives being
subjugated to their husbands,” he told the paper. “In my opinion, this
is a distortion of the meaning of Scripture. … I personally feel the
Bible says all people are equal in the eyes of God. I personally feel
that women should play an absolutely equal role in service of Christ in
the church.”

Southern Baptists are the United States’ largest Protestant
denomination, with 15.9 million members.

In June, the group’s leaders voted at its national convention that women
should no longer serve as pastors. They also voted to condemn racism,
homosexuality, abortion, pornography and adultery.

Although the statement of faith regarding pastors was not binding on
congregations, some Baptists warned that some churches would quit the
denomination. Some congregations did quit two years ago when the
Southern Baptists declared that wives should “submit graciously” to
their husbands.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95311&page=1

Amazing how extremism in Christianity and the serious emotional and
social suffering, and even violence, it causes is diminished by those
compelled to demonize a competing religion's extremism. The screaming
headlines tell one violent story of extremism that is more sensational,
while the other story concerns severe sexism that leads to forms of
domestic violence, less luridly exploitable, yet pervasive and quite
hurtful as sobering evidence that extremism in any religion is bad news
for human rights.

Doc
Steven Douglas
2013-08-18 17:13:43 UTC
Post by Doc
How would any of this make me happy?
Because Obama has taken the side of the Muslim Brotherhood, who
are in the process of attacking Christians in Egypt. I thought it
would make you happy to know that you and Obama are on the same
page in this regard -- especially since you're so unhappy when he
targets terrorists with those drone strikes.
Doc
2013-08-20 02:25:43 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
How would any of this make me happy?
Because Obama has taken the side of the Muslim Brotherhood, who
are in the process of attacking Christians in Egypt. I thought it
would make you happy to know that you and Obama are on the same
page in this regard -- especially since you're so unhappy when he
targets terrorists with those drone strikes.
First of all, Egyptians have had no experience with a democracy. The
long US/Ally support for an autocratic police state didn't help.
Egyptians were positioned to have its first democratically elected
government get into trouble with the heavy influence of the Muslim
Brotherhood, and external influence to keep the Muslim Bros from
domination. The latter pressure coming from the US, Israel, and its allies.
Egyptians lost faith in the honesty of its first election. By June, 60%
thought the election had been thrown.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/78207/Egypt/Politics-/Gallup-Egyptians-lost-faith-in-Morsi-government,-p.aspx
The military moving against the MB, brought a retaliation against the
Coptics, since radicals instilled the notion that the US and its allies
had been involved in the coup. The MB made it clear they believed this
was the case.
Christians, of course, representing the Western nations, came under
fierce attack.
Secondly, Obama has no evidence that we know of at this moment the
election was thrown. There is no independent investigation at this point
to prove it had been. It seems that there was enough reason to tamper
with it, but there is suspicion, too, that the coup was devised secretly
by the US and its allies.
IOW, if true, then Obama may have worked to undermine Morsi and the MB.
That would obviously mean he had not been siding with them at all.
The huge strategic and commercial importance of Egypt to Western vested
interests is plain for all to see in history. A Muslim President and a
large backing of the MB could destabilize the region.
It seems to me that it is probable Obama secretly exploited the lack of
confidence in Morsi and the MB. It may turn out that the election was
corrupted and that the US played a big role in the coup.
Hardly, that I'm happy about the violence against the Coptic churches.
Doc
Steven Douglas
2013-08-20 03:31:08 UTC
Post by Doc
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
[...]
Ah, and of course as you always say, everything that happens over
there is no different from things that happen here. So whenever
Muslim terrorists attack us, our response is the same against
Muslims in this country as is happening to Christians over there.
Right?
Post by Doc
Secondly, Obama has no evidence that we know of at this moment the
election was thrown. There is no independent investigation at this point
to prove it had been. It seems that there was enough reason to tamper
with it, but there is suspicion, too, that the coup was devised secretly
by the US and its allies.
IOW, if true, then Obama may have worked to undermine Morsi and the MB.
That would obviously mean he had not been siding with them at all.
Are you saying we should not believe a word Obama says?
Post by Doc
The huge strategic and commercial importance of Egypt to Western vested
interests is plain for all to see in history. A Muslim President and a
large backing of the MB could destabilize the region.
It seems to me that it is probable Obama secretly exploited the lack of
confidence in Morsi and the MB. It may turn out that the election was
corrupted and that the US played a big role in the coup.
Hardly, that I'm happy about the violence against the Coptic churches.
You could prove that by ending your reflexive defense of Islamic
radicals every time I mention some their horrific behavior. You
could stop making false comparisons of the behavior of Christians
here to the behavior of Islamic radicals there.
Doc
2013-08-20 04:22:23 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
[...]
Wrong! It's quite a different situation. Our government hadn't had a
coup. It was not in an evolving or devolving state of revolution. It was
not in a destabilized state. I never said that things are the same here
as over there. We don't have the world's biggest empire exerting its
influence on us every day as Egypt has had. We were not in danger of
having our government ruined or Bush arrested.
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Secondly, Obama has no evidence that we know of at this moment the
election was thrown. There is no independent investigation at this point
to prove it had been. It seems that there was enough reason to tamper
with it, but there is suspicion, too, that the coup was devised secretly
by the US and its allies.
IOW, if true, then Obama may have worked to undermine Morsi and the MB.
That would obviously mean he had not been siding with them at all.
Are you saying we should not believe a word Obama says?
I'm saying what you used to NOT say in defense of Bush - that he has to
sometimes play two sides of a crisis. Publicly, if he were to rebuke the
MB, the sizable following would have the evidence he's against not only
the MB, but Muslims in the formation of a new government, whatever it
may be. This could result in violent reprisals against Western corporate
interests or anything construed to be Western or American. It would
probably not simply be Coptics in the cross hairs. What I think has
happened is that whether the election was fair or not, the results were
MOST unsatisfactory to Western/US interests, politically, strategically,
commercially. I think it's notable that arms sales still haven't been
suspended - as if those "commericial or strategic" interests are being
bet on to be taking whatever short-range risk in favor of continuing the
long term investment there. It is also notable that the protestors were
mainly those pro-Morsi that were under live fire. The military can be
faulted for killing people openly and in large numbers, and if Obama had
anything to do with the coup, it's blood on his hands. But, as I say,
the long-range interests may outweigh the short-term political damage.
Only if it can proved the US had a hand in the coup, will it be fatal to
Obama. Rumors will fly, accusations made, but in the end, the goal
appears to be to make sure the radical Muslim Bros. don't get a
controlling influence in any new government. If that is correct, Obama
has taken a gamble, hoping for a new election, and the diminishing of
the MB. It may very well take a civil war, as in Libya. But in Libya,
even with that, Tripoli looks like it's barely in control. I'd like to
ask you about the origin of this revolution on the networking sites -
who came forward to be its leaders and spokespeople?? How did it get
started? Who is to credit for its formation? No one seems to know. It
was often said that its lack of central leadership, its disorganization,
resulted in the problems it has been having. Every revolution I've read
about has had a central leadership, prominent figures that are generally
agreed to be its originators. HUH??
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
The huge strategic and commercial importance of Egypt to Western vested
interests is plain for all to see in history. A Muslim President and a
large backing of the MB could destabilize the region.
It seems to me that it is probable Obama secretly exploited the lack of
confidence in Morsi and the MB. It may turn out that the election was
corrupted and that the US played a big role in the coup.
Hardly, that I'm happy about the violence against the Coptic churches.
You could prove that by ending your reflexive defense of Islamic
radicals every time I mention some their horrific behavior. You
could stop making false comparisons of the behavior of Christians
here to the behavior of Islamic radicals there.
I need not prove anything of the kind to you. You prove to me that
you're not Islamaphobic. LOL! Exploiting the radicalism and its
atrocities from strict Sharia law application, is not the mainstream of
Islam at work. Your wet dream Bush said as much. No, I won't stop making
comparisons because they're not false, as you claim. It was two
Christian Presidents and mostly Christian armies that invaded and
occupied two poor underdeveloped Muslim nations. The atrocities that our
vastly superior armies committed are still classified, but a few are
already known. There are likely more. The collateral damage and spent
uranium in Iraq took untold numbers of civilians' lives and crippled
many. When one realizes that the majority of the public no longer
believes that invading Iraq should've been done, it stands as mass death
and injuries that never needed to happen. The drone attack project has
killed hundreds of innocents in Pakistan alone. These kind of
"acceptable casualties" foment terroristic counter-strikes, which, in
turn, produce counter-counter attacks. The amount of suffering, deaths,
and infrastructure damage to Muslims nations has been far, far beyond
anything the U.S. and its allies have incurred.
We've got all the big numbers in troops to field, the latest in kill
technology, the best in surveillance, and lots of resources spread
through many allied powers.
And here we are, however, giving up our privacy rights and living in
fear, while a police state evolves. A small bombing in Boston with 3
deaths is made to look like a Mideastern Muslim terror group was
involved, yet the evidence is dubious at best. Every day sectarian
violence and terror attacks hit Iraq, and we don't know one name or see
one face of their many victims - a situation that came out of an
unneeded invasion. Festered over the years, and now threatens to bring
down the already weak Iraq government that you thought was such an
accomplishment for Bush baby. HAH!!! They needed to have handled their
own overthrow. Not have a foreign army do it for them.
It's not like we could actually eradicate terrorism. It's a farce. But
we can be murderous, tyrannical hypocrites, and wait for another global
bloodbath to wallow in. Keep invading Third World nations whenever a
civil war breaks out, and people scream to save the children and women!
Humanitarians, are we? Ask how humanitarian the Predator drone victims'
families think we are, for starters.
I'd think you'd like that big bloody stupid war as long as not a drop of
your blood has to be spilled.
How much data has been collected on your private life secretly so far,
do you think?

Doc
Steven Douglas
2013-08-20 17:10:43 UTC
Post by Doc
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
The military moving against the MB, brought a retaliation against the
Coptics, since radicals instilled the notion that the US and its allies
had been involved in the coup. The MB made it clear they believed this
was the case.
Christians, of course, representing the Western nations, came under
fierce attack.
Ah, and of course as you always say, everything that happens over
there is no different from things that happen here. So whenever
Muslim terrorists attack us, our response is the same against
Muslims in this country as is happening to Christians over there.
Right?
Wrong! It's quite a different situation. Our government hadn't had a
coup. It was not in an evolving or devolving state of revolution. It was
not in a destabilized state.
Have you forgotten about the hundreds of thousands of Egyptians who
were demonstrating against Morsi's government before the Egyptian
military stepped in to remove him from power?

Headline: "Egypt military gives President Morsi 48 hours to reach
agreement with opposition, or face political transition"

[excerpt] Opponents accuse Morsi of running the nation in
contradiction to the ideals of the Arab Spring, saying he has been
too eager to place other Brotherhood leaders into positions of power
and not eager enough to share the power among other political groups
in the country.

Earlier Monday, organizers of the protests called on the military to
state openly it supports them.

While the statement from al-Sissi was careful to state that the
military would not take an active role in any political transition
process, the threat that one would be launched if Morsi failed to
heed the demands of the opposition was tantamount to military
support.

The announcement was greeted by jubilation in Tahrir Square.

According to the Egyptian constitution, if a sitting president loses
the confidence of the public he can be removed from power and the
chief justice of the nation's high court would step in to oversee a transition administration.

Ahead of the protests, the military last week warned it would
intervene to stop the nation from entering a "dark tunnel."
[end excerpt]

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57591775/egypt-military-gives-president-morsi-48-hours-to-reach-agreement-with-opposition-or-face-political-transition/
Post by Doc
I never said that things are the same here
as over there.
You do your best to draw comparisons to the way Muslims are treated
here to the way Christians are treated there. You were just doing
that not too long ago.
Post by Doc
We don't have the world's biggest empire exerting its
influence on us every day as Egypt has had. We were not in danger of
having our government ruined or Bush arrested.
Apparently Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have more
influence than we do. Our foreign aid to Egypt is a pittance
compared to what the Egyptian military is receiving from the
Saudis and the Emirates. Here's an article from soon after the
Egyptian military removed Morsi from power:

Headline: "Saudi Arabia pledges $5 billion in aid to Egypt"

[excerpt] Saudi Arabia pledged $5 billion in grants and loans to
Egypt's new government on Tuesday, a second major promise of aid
from the Gulf after the ouster of the country's Islamist president.

Earlier, the United Arab Emirates pledged $3 billion to the
cash-strapped country. Saudi Arabia and the UAE are leading critics
of deposed President Mohammed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood.
[end excerpt]

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57592930/saudi-arabia-pledges-$5-billion-in-aid-to-egypt/

Now, what was your most recent *excuse* for why Muslim radicals
mistreat Christians in their midst? Please explain that to me
again.
Doc
2013-08-20 22:21:58 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Post by Doc
[...]
I think the religious-political-social situation in Egypt is a lot more
complex than you, I, or most Americans understand clearly.
You're presenting the Coptic church as an virtually innocent, neutral
body not subject to promoting any form of authoritarianism but from my
research, it has been part of a restrictive ruling triad that has
generally promoted autocracy since Nasser. I strongly suggest you read
ALL of the following.

I quote:

While the military-industry complex is the hegemonic actor in Egypt’s
politics and economy, since Nasser came to power, Al-Azhar and the
Coptic Church have held the dominant hand in the social realm.

Nasser curtailed both the Muslim Brotherhood and the ulema and passed
the 1961 law that removed the independence of Al-Azhar yielding the
institution to state power. For instance, local imams became an
important mobilizing force of Nasser’s national project. Similarly, the
Coptic Church gained control over community affairs as Nasser diminished
the role of the community lay councils (Al-Majlis Al-Milli).

This governing alliance has ensured that religion remains central to
people’s lives as a social rather than political force. Over the years,
it has made it difficult to create a direct relationship between the
state and its citizens.

Additionally, it has meant that religious institutions have been
empowered at the expense of other civil actors and groups. At the same
time, over the last three decades this alliance has ensured a rather
peaceful, albeit increasingly volatile, co-existence between Egypt’s two
largest religious communities: Sunni Muslims and Coptic Christians.

Religion in Egypt is an important part of everyday life and social
relations. The Egyptian state is not, however, a religious (i.e.
Islamic) state as the legal system is based primarily on the French
civil code. The state does not adopt a dogmatic and legalistic
interpretation of Islamic principles except in the realm of personal
status matters, such as marriage, divorce, and inheritance, where the
principles of shari’a apply.

This implies certain social restrictions, however, including the
impossibility of marriage between a Christian man and a Muslim woman and
the difficulty in inheriting assets from family members of different
religions. This system also places certain restrictions on the
inheritance rights of female children.

As a result, the private realm of the family is under state control in
ways that ensure the piety of Egyptian society. Moreover, such control
over the family realm turns confessional communities into the primary
location of belonging and identity. It is, as such, no surprise that
Al-Azhar and the Coptic Church are the two most important institutions
helping the state to control the devotional nature of Egyptian society,
which is first and foremost, embedded in the realm of the family.

Among other things, the people’s call for the army to oust Morsi and the
military’s subsequent siege of the Muslim Brotherhood is another
manifestation of the struggle for authority over piety in Egypt. Over
the past year, the Muslim Brotherhood has tried to claim this authority
by challenging the power of the country’s existing religious institutions.

For these reasons, it is incorrect to describe the June 30 events
through the lens of a “secular” army unseating Islamists. An acute form
of secularism that implies a strict separation between religion and
state and the complete privatization of religion has never been dominant
in Egypt.

In this respect, it is significant that General Abdel Fatah El-Sissi
appeared on July 3 with both the grand imam of Al-Azhar and the Coptic
Pope to announce the transitional roadmap.

This appearance signaled to the crowds and the international audience
that the military intervention not only had popular support, but also
had the endorsement of the two major religious institutions in Egypt.

All three institutions share a male dominated, authoritarian culture
that reflects how the Egyptian state has historically governed the
country. By appearing together on the occasion of Morsi’s ouster, the
leader of these three institutions confirmed the strong role this
authoritarian and patriarchal tradition continues to play in Egypt’s
unfolding revolution.

The success of the revolution very much lies in its ability to stand
against all forms of power and oppression, no matter from where they may
come. Egyptian protesters emphasized this with dignity and courage when
they demonstrated in the millions against Mubarak in January 2011 and
then against Morsi in June 2013.

Nevertheless, well-entrenched state traditions of authoritarianism
continue to limit the revolution’s emancipatory potential...

The entrenched nature of this authoritarianism was reflected in recent
opposition to Egypt’s new interim constitution by various religious
institutions. The issues raised by these groups stemmed first and
foremost from their anxiety about losing authority and political power
in the country.

For instance, the Coptic Church criticized the removal of an article
that was present in the now suspended constitution, which granted
non-Muslim communities the right to apply their own canonical laws in
personal status matters. Salafis also rejected the new declaration
because it eliminated Al-Azhar’s role as a referee in matters relating
to Islamic shari’ a.

At the moment, however, there are several ways to ensure that the
authoritarian triad is not allowed to continue. The revolutionary youth
who launched the Tamarod movement, which led to Morsi’s ouster, as well
as the National Salvation Front (NSF), Egypt’s leading civil opposition
group, are included in the transitional roadmap. These groups present
the best opportunity for preventing the normalization of the triad’s
power over Egyptian society.

To succeed, these groups must engage in representative democracy, while
at the same time continuing to express their demands on the street in
ways that expand the political spectrum beyond narrow binaries of us
versus them. Although the leaderless nature of the revolution since
January 2011 certainly empowered direct over representative forms,
direct democracy still cannot exist without its representative variant.

The Salafist Al-Nour Party’s strong rejection of attempts to appoint
Mohamed El-Baradei of the NSF and Ziad Bahaaeddin to the position of
interim prime minister highlights the ongoing influence of party
politics in maintaining state authoritarianism in Egypt...

Perhaps now more than ever, it is pressing that the revolutionary civil
oppositional groups, including political parties, social movements, and
non-governmental organizations, stand together to speak out against the
state’s authoritarian traditions.

There are already developments in this direction. For instance, Tamarod
has objected to the new constitutional declaration on the grounds that
it, “lays the foundation of a new dictatorship.” The NSF also recently
called for revolutionaries to be included in the new cabinet, and
demanded that the new constitutional declaration be amended.

These are important steps to building a synergy between direct and
indirect forms of democracy to ensure that the people’s will is actually
reflected in the new governing structures, and to dismantle the alliance
between the military and religious institutions in Egypt.
http://muftah.org/state-authoritarianism-in-egypt-the-military-al-azhar-coptic-church-triad/

Obama, as I said, is believed by some analysts to be withholding public
condemnation of the MB to keep the social violence from getting even
worse. If he were to announce today that the MB is a dictatorial group
that has thrown the election, the MB and its many supporters would have
new fuel to add to the fire. As such, they already are charging Obama is
undermining them by secretly supporting the coup which, as the writer I
quoted said, is being supported by the Coptics and Sunnis.

The writer correctly points out that the Coptics have been a major part
of the ruling elite of Egypt in a triad that has done little to oppose
authoritarian government, and restrictive social practices.

So, junior, this horrid mess is really quite complex. And this quote
underlines perfectly, when it comes to whatever role the US and its
allies have to play in this crisis of leadership.

I quote: (and I suggest strongly you read ALL of it)

But the fact that the United States can’t force Egypt’s generals to
resolve their political problems peacefully doesn’t absolve the Obama
administration either. The White House may not have sufficient leverage
to force the outcomes it would prefer, but when it sees a supposed
partner acting with such a complete disregard for human life, it should
not be a party to their crimes. For six weeks, the administration has
shielded Egypt’s generals from criticism and accountability as they have
consistently refused to take steps to defuse the crisis. Indeed, in the
wake of Morsi’s ouster, Sisi is more responsible than anyone for
inflaming the Egyptian public and dimming any hopes of national
reconciliation. The most the administration has mustered in response is
a weak order delaying the delivery of four F-16 fighter jets—a minor
inconvenience, not a stick.

The administration shouldn’t mindlessly maintain the same approach to
the Egyptian military that has served both sides since 1979.
Washington’s billions in aid to Egypt were originally offered to help
ensure Israel’s defense. In the intervening years, Egypt’s armed forces,
which were never particularly formidable, have progressively
deteriorated as its military brass has grown more interested in running
its business empire than defending the country’s borders. Egypt’s tanks
are now more likely to be found in Cairo’s streets than charging across
the Sinai, where they would be met by a vastly superior Israeli
military. The strategic costs for suspending Egypt’s aid just aren’t
what they once were.

The day before Wednesday’s bloody crackdown, Egyptian authorities
revealed the new slate of provincial governors who would be appointed to
office. Nineteen of the 25 new governors are generals. Of the remaining
six, two are Mubarak-era judges who are considered extremely hostile to
the Muslim Brotherhood. If the regime-inspired violence didn’t make it
clear enough, these (and similar) designs should: Egypt’s generals are
cementing a new brand of authoritarianism. Late on Wednesday, the regime
declared a monthlong state of emergency, restoring to the military the
power it wielded for decades under Mubarak. How long does the United
States want to assist them diplomatically and financially?

Of course, there is a good chance that suspending aid to Egypt’s
generals would have no effect. After all, the sums that Gulf kingdoms
like Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates have offered
Egypt—upward of $12 billion in grants and loans—dwarfs American
largesse. Or maybe a move to suspend aid would lead Sisi to rethink his
position—to consider that perhaps his deep ties to the U.S. military are
worth more than crushing his opponents in the street. But even if such
an outcome is unlikely, it’d still signal to the region that the United
States is not about to underwrite another Middle Eastern dictatorship—a
mistake we continued to make for decades. And it’d be liberating for the
Obama administration, too: They could begin to make policy for the Egypt
that exists, not the one that they dream
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/08/egyptian_police_brutally_crackdown_on_mohamed_morsi_s_supporters_obama_administration.html

That being said, why do some analysts suspect Obama has been secretly
supporting the coup?

Here's a decent theory: (quote)

The Muslim Brotherhood condemns Obama for the military coup that ousted
Mohamed Mursi, Egypt's first elected president. Many followers of
Tamarod, whose leaders the U.S. covertly trained to create popular
backing for the military to step in, blame Obama for still being too
soft on the Muslim Brotherhood. And now the Egyptian military, our go-to
allies in Egypt whose coup Obama helped organize, are miffed that he has
stopped delivery of four F-16 fighter jets and that his top officials
are publicly telling the military to cut back their campaign to decimate
their historic enemies, the Muslim Brotherhood.

"This is a pivotal moment for Egypt," declared Secretary of State John
Kerry. "The United States ... calls on all of Egypt's leaders across the
political spectrum to act immediately to help their country take a step
back from the brink."

Don't think it's easy to meddle so deeply in the affairs of another
country, as Kerry claims to have learned from Vietnam and Obama from our
past failures in Iraq and Afghanistan. But meddling is doubly hard when
the leader of the free world tries to do the whole thing off stage,
using the shadowy agencies of the Pentagon, the State Department, and
the CIA.

He is seen to do nothing, to be following from behind. Yet, off-stage,
he is doing far too much, and a large part of it simply cannot be done.

Using Tamarod to build a campaign to encourage the military to intervene
was the easy part. Once the Egyptian military took back the reins of
power, and Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi began to get a taste of what it
might feel like to become a new Nasser or Mubarak with his face on
posters throughout Cairo, not even the Pentagon had the leverage that
Obama might have expected.

Yes, the U.S. provides $1.5 billion a year in military assistance, but
the Saudis and their Gulf State allies are now providing far more, and
they like the idea of smashing the Muslim Brotherhood. They have their
own brand of Salafi Islamists they would rather see supported.

In the end, I fully expect Obama and al-Sisi to patch up their
differences. Both Egypt and the United States have put far too much into
their long-standing military alliance to let the crushing of the Muslim
Brotherhood get in the way. And, when push comes to shove, Washington is
not going to get too carried away by its democratic rhetoric, especially
if the Egyptians continue to promote ultra-free-market, neo-liberal
economics in the tradition of the Chilean general Augusto Pinochet.

But there is a democratic lesson to be learned, and Americans need to
learn it. Ever since "Our Greatest Generation" created the covert action
arm of the Central Intelligence Agency after World War II, presidents of
both parties have found it too convenient to conduct too much of their
foreign policy in the shadows. Today, that could be under the cover of
the State Department's "Democracy Bureaucracy," USAID, the National
Endowment for Democracy, Freedom House, Optor/CANVAS, Google, or a raft
of specialized private companies.

Edward Snowden, the National Security Agency whistleblower, has made us
conscious of the mammoth role electronic intelligence now plays in the
secret game of nations, while ex-CIA officer Sabrina de Sousa has just
blown the whistle on some hitherto unknown details of the kidnapping -
sorry, extraordinary rendition - of the Muslim cleric Abu Omar from the
streets of Milan, Italy, in 2003. The CIA shipped him to Egypt, where he
was reportedly tortured - a timely reminder to Snowden not to put to put
too much faith in Attorney General Eric Holder's assurance to the
Russians that the United States does not engage in such dastardly behavior.

More than most presidents, Obama has quietly made his mark on the shady
side, whether in bringing the military back to power in Egypt, using the
CIA to help Saudi Arabia and Qatar to arm the Sunni rebels in Syria, or
waging cyberwar against the Iranian nuclear program with what became
known as the Stuxnet worm. New York Times journalist David E. Sanger
shows us this side of the president in "Confront and Conceal: Obama's
Secret Wars and Surprising Use of American Power," which is at the
center of the leaking investigation against 4-star Marine General James
E. "Hoss" Cartwright. How silly can we get?

I suspect that future historians will play up Obama's interventionist
side, but most journalists and politicos today seem content to blast
this very activist president as "following from behind" and only a
handful see his considerable hand in the Egyptian coup. This makes it
impossible for Americans to have a democratic debate on foreign policies
no one is supposed to see, and criminalizing leakers and whistleblowers
like Cartwright, Manning, and Snowden will only leave the public even
more in the dark.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/289-134/18626-focus-is-obama-trying-to-take-back-his-coup-in-egypt

Filthy politics carried on in the fine tradition of both Republican and
Democratic administrations - something I've reiterated many times here
to you.

Behind it, corporate capitalism.

Another dirty force that plays one act on the public stage, another off it.

Nothing new, really, for oldsters like me. It's just that simplifying a
complex political-social situation like our partners in the Mideast as
the nasty Muslim radicals doing all the nefarious deeds in Egypt, is a
bit too much for me to swallow.

The Coptics have had enormous influence in Egypt, and have said and done
things to agitate Muslims -and vice versa - and the entrenched elitists
of all stripes there play a major soiled role as do the vested interests
of foreign powers.

I'm confident the whole mess will eventually be worked out - the
military aid will continue to make Lockheed and Boeing happy, to name
but two, and the ruling religious parties will make their
accommodations, as they've done since Nasser. More riots, perhaps even a
civil war, but it will come out to another complex situation, perhaps
even more so, that'll permit most Egyptians to get on with raising their
families, making money, and spending it.

Every leadership crisis always affords biased parties to have their
moment in the sun, in the midst of it, but by its inevitable resolution,
the status quo stays intact, while whatever changes that are made, that
are trumpeted as revolutionary or liberating, will be effectively
absorbed into the milieu of government and social structure by the sheer
need to get on with their lives by the way a suffering majority has been
motivated by the revolution's encouraging demands. If not, and the
revolution fails, and a form of authoritarianism returns, as it
apparently had in Egypt, another round of greater resistance will carry
the torch. Because once they know they can affect authority as deeply as
Egyptians have done, they'll not stop until they get pretty much what
they feel they deserve.

Doc
Steven Douglas
2013-08-21 15:38:29 UTC
Post by Doc
I think the religious-political-social situation in Egypt is a lot more
complex than you, I, or most Americans understand clearly.
You're presenting the Coptic church as an virtually innocent, neutral
body not subject to promoting any form of authoritarianism but from my
research, it has been part of a restrictive ruling triad that has
generally promoted autocracy since Nasser.
Then you better do a little more research, because you've got it all
wrong.
Post by Doc
I strongly suggest you read ALL of the following.
Oh, you "strongly" suggest that I read your biased source, which is
filled with inaccuracies? I started reading it, and quickly
discovered they're full of crap.
Post by Doc
While the military-industry complex is the hegemonic actor in Egypt’s
politics and economy, since Nasser came to power, Al-Azhar and the
Coptic Church have held the dominant hand in the social realm.
Nasser curtailed both the Muslim Brotherhood and the ulema and passed
the 1961 law that removed the independence of Al-Azhar yielding the
institution to state power. For instance, local imams became an
important mobilizing force of Nasser’s national project. Similarly, the
Coptic Church gained control over community affairs as Nasser diminished
the role of the community lay councils (Al-Majlis Al-Milli).
Coptic Christians did not gain under Nasser, they lost big. This
"article" you've posted is obvious drivel, meant for people like you
who don't know the first thing about the history of Egypt. They were
hoping you'd buy their BS, and you did. But that doesn't mean I'm
going to waste my time reading it.
Doc
2013-08-21 23:19:30 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
I think the religious-political-social situation in Egypt is a lot more
complex than you, I, or most Americans understand clearly.
You're presenting the Coptic church as an virtually innocent, neutral
body not subject to promoting any form of authoritarianism but from my
research, it has been part of a restrictive ruling triad that has
generally promoted autocracy since Nasser.
Then you better do a little more research, because you've got it all
wrong.
In the triad accommodation, restrictions would be necessary, as
compromise would be the common thread among all three. In that manner,
the Copts generally supported Mubarak. It is clear they didn't like the
accommodation, but what is the alternative? Violent oppression in their
resistance? Yes. So, as the Catholics had to do in Nazi Germany, an
accommodation was made to appease an authoritarian power to keep Mubarak
from having reasons to go after their members. In that way, the Copts
supported authoritarianism - if they (or the Catholics) thought it was
more important to have democracy, or a new form of government, more
human rights, then they'd have to risk a lot of lives to attain it.
Pragmatism rules. Survival is the goal.
Post by Doc
[...]
Of course not. Why "waste" your time on the hard reality of
accommodation of a totalitarian regime in order to keep a relatively
stable lifestyle going for your family - when you can get a lot of
innocent folks killed, tortured, and imprisoned in your righteous
defiance? They had that option, but at about 10% of the population, and
with Muslims dominating, I don't know how they'd fare. But, you'd
probably think that they should've tried, anyway, right? As you depicted
Jesus wanting his disciples to go down swinging their bloody swords in
defense of religious ideology and even Jesus' survival, and Jesus
supposedly supporting the sword-swinging, you likely think the Copts
should've risen up and maybe even had Western Christians' armies aid
them, and give the ol' Pharoah the jackboot? HUH?

It doesn't matter how many have to be suffer and die for what YOU think
is right, just so their armed resistance can help glorify your ideology,
your self-righteous views. EH? You're no Arab, no Egyptian, not a part
of a minority religion (here), so what do you care if the Copts
gloriously expend their lives for your god and its doctrinal "truth"?
Better to go down fighting and killing, than make a compromised
arrangement - oh, the horror of it! What weaklings they'd be to you,
right?

Asshole.

Doc
Doc
2013-08-21 02:03:57 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Post by Doc
[...]
Here's an Arabic language video on Coptics protesting the propaganda
film on Mohammed that you defended a year ago - denying that the film
was made by right-wing fundamentalist Christians.
The Coptics believed it to be trash that further agitated Sunni Muslims
and poison good relations between Christians and Muslims.
These are the Coptics that are under attack by extremist Muslims. Yet,
they found it in their hearts to protest this Christian fanatics' cheap
inciting production.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v5AnKg3C43o

http://www.merip.org/copts-denounce-islamophobia
Steven Douglas
2013-08-21 15:46:20 UTC
Post by Doc
Here's an Arabic language video on Coptics protesting the propaganda
film on Mohammed that you defended a year ago -
I "defended" it? Really? Can you show me that post?
Post by Doc
denying that the film
was made by right-wing fundamentalist Christians.
Uh, what I said is that the film was made by a Coptic Christian who
is an Egyptian national. You did know that's who made that film,
didn't you?
Post by Doc
The Coptics believed it to be trash that further agitated Sunni Muslims
and poison good relations between Christians and Muslims.
I'm sure it's a very tenuous proposition to be a Coptic Christian
in a country that has a long history of not treating Christians very
well. So when something is done that can make that treatment even
worse, the smart thing to do is to stand up and oppose the thing
that might bring even worse treatment upon them.
Post by Doc
These are the Coptics that are under attack by extremist Muslims. Yet,
they found it in their hearts to protest this Christian fanatics' cheap
inciting production.
Hmm, you know, that's something I could have written, and you'd try
to figure out a way to make the Muslims seem just as wonderful.
Doc
2013-08-21 23:53:58 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Here's an Arabic language video on Coptics protesting the propaganda
film on Mohammed that you defended a year ago -
I "defended" it? Really? Can you show me that post?
You denied American Christian fundamentalists helped produce it. I
showed you they had. You refused to accept my evidence, as usual.
'Apparently, junior, American Christian fanatics didn't play a major
part in fomenting Muslim riots at US embassies globally. It was all the
fault of Mid-eastern Jewish fanatics. You never made one criticism of
that film in its portrayal of Mohammad as a criminal, a pervert.
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
denying that the film
was made by right-wing fundamentalist Christians.
Uh, what I said is that the film was made by a Coptic Christian who
is an Egyptian national. You did know that's who made that film,
didn't you?
You didn't know or care about the whole story. You thought you knew it
all until I presented some solid evidence it was co-supported by Jewish
groups and associated with a fundie in California that represented its
producer.

I wearily quote as I did last year to you, fence post:

Klein told CNN Wednesday that the filmmaker, whom he called Sam Bacile,
was in hiding.

"He's very depressed, and he's upset," Klein said. "I talked to him this
morning, and he said that he was very concerned for what happened to the
ambassador."

The Atlantic later quoted Klein as saying that Sam Bacile was a
pseudonym. He said he did not know Bacile's real name.

Klein is known in Southern California for his vocal opposition to the
construction of a mosque in Temecula, southeast of Los Angeles, in 2010.
He heads up Concerned Citizens for the First Amendment, a group that
contends Islam is a threat to American freedom.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, says Klein, a
former Marine and Vietnam veteran, helped train militant Christian
fundamentalists prepare for war.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/13/world/anti-islam-filmmaker

The film was then quickly promoted by another
Coptic and Rev. Terry Jones, a fundie. I quote:

The movie got even more notice after it was promoted by anti-Islam
activists, including Egyptian-born Coptic Christian Morris Sadek and
Terry Jones, the Florida pastor whose Quran-burning last year sparked
deadly riots in Afghanistan.

Jones said he had been contacted to help distribute the film.

"The film is not intended to insult the Muslim community, but it is
intended to reveal truths about Mohammed that are possibly not widely
known," Jones said in a statement.

"It is very clear that God did not influence him (Mohammed) in the
writings of the Quran," said Jones, who went on to blame Muslims' fear
of criticism for the protests, rather than the film.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called Jones
to ask him to withdraw his support for the film, said Col. David Lapan,
Dempsey's spokesman.

"Jones' support of the film risks causing more violence and death,"
Lapan said.

Apparently these two Copts were aided by American fundies and played a
part in fueling anti-Christian, anti-US violence at US embassies. So, it
appears the Copts that hated the film in this video were not the
Copt extremists - that is, they thought it was wrong that extremists had
made and promoted this film to cause tension between Muslims and
Christians.
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
The Coptics believed it to be trash that further agitated Sunni Muslims
and poison good relations between Christians and Muslims.
I'm sure it's a very tenuous proposition to be a Coptic Christian
in a country that has a long history of not treating Christians very
well. So when something is done that can make that treatment even
worse, the smart thing to do is to stand up and oppose the thing
that might bring even worse treatment upon them.
LOL! Okay, snakey, if that thought makes you feel better. I'm sure you
know all about their motivation - it's clear to me. When opposing
ideologies have to, in hard reality, live their lives together, they
need to think more about extremism making live more difficult for both.
And that is the reason for this protest,junior. A pragmatic attitude
towards that hard reality. Not an airy, self-righteous, glorified
approach, for dead heroes and other extremist idiots, but an
realizations that extremism is making life harder for both religions to
live and work together. That's all I've been saying in this group for
years, junior. Extremism in ideology foments oppression, repression,
suppression, violence, murder, insanity of all kinds. It cannot
reasonably be thought of as anything to do with a loving, awesomely wise
god - no, it's the ugly pettiness, fears, hatred, prejudices of humans.

That is what I've been saying for years here -and you and many others
want to conquer and divide. Pick a side you say. And then battle
endlessly, even support extremism when convenient to your argument. Or
at least deny it.

You need to learn some things about common human behavior.
Doc
Steven Douglas
2013-08-22 18:15:36 UTC
Post by Doc
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Here's an Arabic language video on Coptics protesting the propaganda
film on Mohammed that you defended a year ago -
I "defended" it? Really? Can you show me that post?
You denied American Christian fundamentalists helped produce it.
I said the guy in California is an Egyptian national who is a
Coptic Christian. He is the guy in California who was hiding out
until Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies led him away in
handcuffs.

I did not defend that video. I will defend the guy's right to
freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with the content. You
see, Doc, there's that difference between you and me -- you really
to want to removed the right to freedom of speech from people
with whom you disagree, and then you project onto me that I
must want to do that to Wally, since you'd want to do it to
someone you don't agree with.

Well, as usual, you're wrong again. You're wrong about just
about everything you post here.
Doc
2013-08-23 20:37:31 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Doc
[...]
And what you are so wrong about is attempting to portray the Egyptian
Copts as having no extremists, as this producer was, and having American
Christian fundamentalists spreading his shit around.
The two forces helped push a piece of anti-Muslim shit into the global
public arena, where it fomented tremendous violence at US embassies.
And you're unable to accept that extremists in the Copts were denounced
by the Copt protest against that piece of hate propaganda, in support of
Muslims that were deeply offended by its false depiction of Mohammad.
That shows a remarkable cognizance of the sick role extremism plays in
their religion, and how it poisons their daily existence with a Muslim
majority, endangering their families. They have to work and play an
interact with that majority every day.
The Copts have precisely the same fucking extremist headaches all
religions suffer.
They are not ALL nice and innocent lil' lambs, nor are all Muslims.
If you want to cozy up to extremism by essentially ignoring its horrid
divisiveness and violence it engenders in a Christian sect, while
underlining it in Islam's fringes, then strut around being a stupid
religious bigot, junior, as you've been here since you slithered in.
And if you want to cozy up to a grudge-bearing, hypocritical, racist
loon for some desperate ego support here, that's laughably all in
keeping with your snaky past behavior and perfectly understandable by
anyone who knows your underhanded tactics.
Doc
Michael
2013-08-23 20:51:09 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Post by Steven Douglas
I did not defend that video.
How could you the coptic in jail by Obama and Holder explains the video was never finished, and everyone only saw a trailor version, not what it was all about -- and so everyone that says they saw it, including CNN that tried to start WWIII by advocating it after ben ghazi are LIARS!
Post by Steven Douglas
freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with the content. You
see, Doc, there's that difference between you and me -- you really
to want to removed the right to freedom of speech from people
with whom you disagree, and then you project onto me that I
must want to do that to Wally, since you'd want to do it to
someone you don't agree with.
Well, as usual, you're wrong again. You're wrong about just
about everything you post here.
And what you are so wrong about is attempting to portray the Egyptian
Copts as having no extremists, as this producer was, and having American
Christian fundamentalists spreading his shit around.
You cannot make that claim because you have not seen the movie or anyone else. SO you are a liar as usual.
Post by Steven Douglas
anyone who knows your underhanded tactics.
Yeah, like your methods of suppression if people do not buy into your hatred and lies?
Doc
Michael
2013-08-22 21:52:17 UTC
Post by Doc
You denied American Christian fundamentalists helped produce it.
And you belive fundies are responsible? try the democratic party that votes consistantly to drill on foreign lands, send armies to secure them, vote no to all solutions to home drilling, and then kill Innocent muslims by drones & assasinate Middle Eastern leader that do not bow to you --

there is no y' Hoshua involved in American foreign wars.

You are alsways a fraud, and project your demons of ignoramus upon others, and if they do not belive your hurtful lies you send people after them to destroy them.

You are what is wrong with the world, it is not a freedom of speech issue. Damaging peoples reps by words or talk that are consistant to lies is illegal in the USA, and I'm sure to any other state in the world -- it just happens only the rich can afford lawyers and court costs to battle their thugies.

You always accuse me of being a right wingerwith 100% no proof. You are a fraud and a hater and no good for this world.
Michael
2013-08-22 00:03:37 UTC
Post by Doc
The Coptics believed it to be trash that further agitated Sunni Muslims
and poison good relations between Christians and Muslims.
The MB three years before they took elections and power had started to percecute a small fraction of coptics -- the film was a reaction to that, not anti muslim. In fact the film was never finished, and only a trailre was ever seen -- it was never shown for the ben ghazi attack but Obama supported the MBs ( correctly so in lew of democracy) and that film was directly targeting the radical faction ( there are many peaceful MBs) for the copitc persecution.

Obama linked it to general racial hatred, when Obama, like Bush, has/had/will have fuzzy thinking periods in their lives.
Post by Doc
These are the Coptics that are under attack by extremist Muslims. Yet,
they found it in their hearts to protest this Christian fanatics' cheap
inciting production.
In which you never saw - -b/c as always, you have demons of ignoramus in you!

On CNN, there is a different narrative,. buisness and homes, and the owners, the copits bodies burnt to a crisp. How is that protection? These are live and recorded film, videos, with the CNN crews commentaries.

That is why the head of the MB was arrested the other day, the Egyptaians as a people do not want to see genocide, of anyone group.
Michael
2013-08-19 18:33:19 UTC
Post by Steven Douglas
Enjoy, Doc!
Headline: "Obama’s Allies Attack Egypt’s Christians"
[excerpt] President Obama and his Secretary of State, John Kerry,
have come down firmly on the side of the Muslim Brotherhood,
repeatedly condemning Egypt’s military for trying to restore order
to that country, and stop its slide toward Islamic totalitarianism.
Right, we support/Egyptian people get rid of Mubarack, the dictator, Obama and other support elections. So the winners are MB, in power since 80 years ago. Bread Prices are manipulated by Washington D.C. so we can get people to overthrow Morsei because he is no longer a Mubarak puppet, and then Right Wingers ( Idiots on this issue) say let us support the military so we can get another 'outlaw' of teh brotherhood-- with 250,000 card holding members.

Not supporting the MB means to Obama and many persons one is Anti Democratic.

THe USA by supporting the overthrow of Morsei, means to Obama and other Washington DC we can overthrow them -- which is the #1 fear.

The reason the MB did not have power for 80 years is , it was outlawed.